New ability to create QuickTime tags in MOV/MP4 videos!

Started by Phil Harvey, May 03, 2019, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 11.39 has the ability to add new QuickTime ItemList and UserData tags in MOV/MP4 videos!

This was a lot of work, and a real pain in the ass to implement.

Due to lack of MOV/MP4 metadata documentation, I have used Adobe Bridge as a guide, and write metadata to be compatible with this application.  Due to the chaotic nature of MOV/MP4 metadata, I fully expect that other apps may require metadata in other locations, and I'm not looking to all of the FAQ3-type problems that we may be getting because of this, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

One of the big pains was handling the alternate languages (which of course almost nobody uses, but I had to implement for the sake of completeness).  Also, I haven't (yet) added the ability to create new Keys items -- this will be a bigger pain, but will have to come after the addition of native HEIC metadata write support which will be another big effort.

So please ignore the hundreds of posts where I stated "ExifTool has only limited write ability for MOV/MP4 videos", because hopefully ExifTool 11.39 can satisfy most people's needs in this area.

Read the second paragraph of the QuickTime Tags documentation for more details about how these tags are written.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Woo hoo!!

Time to start going through various StackExchange questions and adding this option.

Well, maybe not today, but soon.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

PLJerry

In my mov file there is tag UserData_aut with description User Data aut. ExifTool 11.42 list this tag when used:
exiftool -UserData_aut FILENAME
But when trying to change by:
exiftool -UserData_aut='name' FILENAME
tool shows: Warning: Tag 'UserData_aut' is not defined
This tag is permanent, so can't be deleted.

There is problem with Displayname tag too.
exiftool -Displayname='0123456789 0123456789'
effects in creating tag DisplayName of above value, but oryginal Displayname tag remains with oryginal value.

Phil Harvey

Can you send me the file so I can take a look?  (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.  I will add support for writing this new Author tag in ExifTool 11.43.

- Phil