Author Topic: Windows metadata  (Read 23683 times)

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
Windows metadata
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:50 AM »
StarGeek has documented the behaviour of the Windows Title Property:

When you set the Title from Windows Properties, the following tags are set:

1. EXIF:ImageDescription
2. EXIF:XPTitle
3. IPTC:Caption-Abstract
4. XMP:Description
5. XMP:Title

And when populating the Title Property, Windows will take the value from the first existing tag with the above order of priority.

And deb27 has documented the behaviour of the Windows Subject Property (for Windows 7):

When you set the Subject from Windows Properties, the following tags are set:

EXIF:XPSubject

And Windows will populate the Subject Property from the following fields, in order of priority:

1. EXIF:XPSubject
2. EXIF:ImageDescription
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
Re: Windows metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
Windows property, File type
Tags Read
Priority order unless otherwise noted
Tags Written

Title, JpegXMP:Title
EXIF:ImageDescription
IPTC:Caption-Abstract
XMP:Description
EXIF:XPTitle
XMP:Title
Title, TifXMP:Title
XMP:Title
IPTC:Caption-Abstract (Only if previously existed)

Subject, Jpeg & TifEXIF:XPSubject
EXIF:XPSubject

Rating, Jpeg & TifXMP:RatingPercent
EXIF:RatingPercent
XMP:Rating
EXIF:Rating
XMP:RatingPercent
EXIF:RatingPercent
XMP:Rating
EXIF:Rating

Tags, JpegAll combined entries in
XMP:Subject
IPTC:Keywords
EXIF:XPKeywords
XMP:LastKeywordIPTC
XMP:LastKeywordXMP
Tags, TifAll combined entries in
XMP:LastKeywordIPTC

Comments, Jpeg & TifEXIF:UserComment
XMP:UserComment
EXIF:XPComment
EXIF:XPComment
(EXIF:UserComment and XMP:UserComment cleared)

Authors, Jpeg & TifEXIF:Artist
IPTC:By-line
XMP:Creator
EXIF:XPAuthor
EXIF:Artist
IPTC:By-line
XMP:Creator
EXIF:XPAuthor

Date Taken, Jpeg & TifEXIF:DateTimeOriginal
IPTC:DateCreated + IPTC:TimeCreated
XMP:CreateDate
EXIF:CreateDate
XMP:DateTimeOriginal
EXIF:DateTimeOriginal
EXIF:CreateDate
XMP:CreateDate
IPTC:DateCreated
IPTC:TimeCreated(?)
Date Taken, PNGPNG:CreationTimePNG:CreationTime

Program Name, JpegEXIF:Softwarenot writable

Date Acquired, JpegXMP:DateAcquiredXMP:DateAcquired

Copyright, JpegEXIF:Copyright
IPTC:CopyrightNotice
XMP:Rights
EXIF:Copyright
IPTC:CopyrightNotice
XMP:Rights

Notes:
Date Taken - When setting through Windows, only the date appears to be editable.
Title - The priority that windows fills this tag is different for jpegs and tifs.
IPTC Data written - Preliminary testing seems to indicate that these tags are not created by default.  I still need to test whether the tag or just the IPTC block needs to exist.
RatingPercent - Setting: 5 Stars = 99, 4 stars = 75, 3 stars = 50, 2 stars = 25, 1 star = 1, 0 stars = removes tags.  Reading: 88-100+ = 5 Stars, 63-87 = 4 stars, 38-62 = 3 stars, 13-37 = 2 stars, 1-12 = 1 star, no tag or 0 = 0 star
PNG - Png files only seem to have one tag related property for Windows

Revisions:
2015-07-25: Reorganized post, reformatted as table, added Tags, Ratings, Comment, Author, Program Name, Date Acquired, and Copyright for jpegs, added Title for Tif, added notes
2015-07-26: Resorted by order tags appear in windows Property->Details tab, fixed Rating, Author, Date Taken for jpeg, added Subject, Rating, Tags, Comments, Authors, Date Taken for Tif
2016-5-28: Updated info on Comments
2016-8-24: Updated info on Comments

Credits:
deb27 - Subject property for Windows 7.
lewisn - updated comment info

Edit:  I figure that consolidating all this info into one post is better than spreading it out through a thread, unless there's any objection to that.  So I'll add any info from any other posts into this post.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:46:55 AM by StarGeek »
Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* Double all percent signs (%) in a Windows batch file.
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Big revisions and corrections.

Somehow I seriously messed up the details for Date Taken.  I double checked it and the above posted info seems correct, at least for Windows 8.1.
Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.

José Oliver-Didier

• José Oliver-Didier
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »
This post is a very useful reference.

I also stumbled upon this MSDN page, which is more developer oriented. I believe it can also help out folks trying to understand how photo metadata is read and written in windows:

Microsoft Photo Metadata Policies:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee872003(v=vs.85).aspx

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »
Thank you for that link.  I never found anything like that when I went looking for info. 
Troubleshooting hints:

lewisn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
This is a great table!

On 'Comments' in Windows here is a bit more detail that I had documented for myself:
  • When enter 'Comments' in Windows 10, Windows puts 'Comments' in EXIF:XPComment (only), and DELETES EXIF:UserComment and XMP:UserComment.  It leaves FILE:Comment alone if that exists.
  • Note that EXIF:UserComment and XMP:UserComment show in Windows at higher priority (in that order in my experiments) than EXIF:XPComment.  FILE:Comment is never displayed as 'Comments'.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:12:10 PM by lewisn »

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Thanks, I was unaware of XMP:UserComment (too hard to catch them all), updated the table.

Troubleshooting hints:

José Oliver-Didier

• José Oliver-Didier
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
Some additional info which may prove useful, especially for folks using Windows Photo Gallery.

People Tags
- Written with Windows Photo Gallery. People names are displayed and read on Windows Explorer. It is written using the Microsoft XMP People Tags Schema.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee719905(v=vs.85).aspx

Geo Tags
- Windows Photo Gallery can read the IPTC (Legacy) SubLocation, City, State-Province, Country fields but upon edit it stores this information in the corresponding IPTC Extension "Location Created Fields"- Sublocation, City, ProvinceState, and CountryName.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.

At some point, I really want to make a fairly comprehensive list of various windows image programs and how they deal with metadata.  Things just keep getting in the way.
Troubleshooting hints:

José Oliver-Didier

• José Oliver-Didier
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
I was going over some old photos which I posted in Flickr and noticed the XP_DIP_XML tags in some of them. At the time I was using Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 which introduced a hierarchical labels and keywords feature. You could group labels within some "base or root" labels such as Keywords, People, Places, Events and Flags.

A sample image can be seen here as well I am attaching one to this post- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmoliver/98986647/meta
A review of the product: http://winsupersite.com/product-review/microsoft-digital-image-suite-2006-review
A screenshot of the hierarchical labels dialog -  https://winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/archive/winsupersite.com/content/content/127172/reviews/dis2006_04.jpg

I did not find much info on XP DIP XML (Exif Tag ID 0x4747) on the exiftool site. So I am just posting this to point it out and let folks know if they stumble upon it on their photos.

Digital Image Suite was a good product at the time which got discontinued as Vista introduced Windows Photo Gallery. Ref article: https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-axes-digital-image-suite/

Doing a Google Search for XP_DIP_XML site:flickr.com will yield a lot of samples. I was suprised to see photos taken as recently as last year with this metadata! Seem that some folks still use this app.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:34:54 AM by José Oliver-Didier »

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the sample, and for the links.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

José Oliver-Didier

• José Oliver-Didier
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
Over the years I have used different OSes and photo management apps which have played differently in terms of reading and writing metadata. I have a lot of photos with many annotations with some taken from old family albums from folks who have passed. Many of my early scans have information only written in the now notorious "XP" Tags and thus inaccessible in many modern applications. So, I have been spending time ensuring that they are adequately preserved to modern metadata standards.

Microsoft's Digital Image Suite which I used early on my projects was discontinued quite some time ago. Windows Photo Gallery and Picasa are more recent examples.

Building upon the excellent analysis of StarGeek and others in this forum I am testing out how Windows Photo Gallery's Info Pane behaves in terms of writing and reading metadata. So far, I have found some slight differences in comparison with how Windows Explorer works (example: Ratings), but most of it is similar. Of particular concern for example, is that WPG overwrites many other tags when updating the "Captions" field.

I am still updating this document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19cfitAyoQj97iWE8GhMLDPWubijy_2zDuUp7xOPE3UQ

Feedback is welcomed.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
So as not to duplicate work, these are the sites/apps I already have data on:
    Photos.google.com
    Flicker
    Irfanview
    Dropbox
    Picasa
    Adobe Reader
    Lightroom (4.4)
    Windows properties
    Adobe Bridge (7.0.0.93)

After I get a few more done and get the formatting correct, I'll make a consolidated thread and I'll add your info in as well. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:13:38 PM by StarGeek »
Troubleshooting hints:

neebah

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
Two questions: 

#1:  Is the camera make and model only read from the exif in windows and WPG

#2:  Is there anyway to camera make and model tag mp4 files so that Windows or WPG reads them. 

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
I haven't done any testing with WPG yet, so I have no idea about what it reads

#1:  Is the camera make and model only read from the exif in windows and WPG

I didn't realize that Windows read the make and model.  My test image had only limited data and was an image I scanned previously.  Checking now with a image from my camera, I see that data is available.  That gives me a bunch more data to check for. 

I really need to get back to working on this project.  I was a bit discouraged when I realized that some programs would read data based upon what it encountered first in the file, meaning I would basically have to start all over with an expanded set of test files.

A quick test shows that Windows 10 properties will read from EXIF:Model and EXIF:Make first, then it will read XMP-tiff:Make and XMP-tiff:Model.  I haven't test beyond that or tested WPG.

#2:  Is there anyway to camera make and model tag mp4 files so that Windows or WPG reads them.

Windows 10 properties doesn't show XMP-tiff:Model, XMP-tiff:Make, XMP-exifEX:LensModel, or XMP-exifEX:LensMake when added to an MP4 and exiftool can't add EXIF tags to an MP4.  It also doesn't show the Nikon make and model tags taken from my camera.  So, I'd say that Windows 10 can't read those. 

Probably time to add MP4 to the testing as well.
Troubleshooting hints: