Unable to change AllDates in Olympus TG-4 files

Started by PeterN, July 26, 2015, 11:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterN

Hi -

Exiftool version: 9.99

I am trying to adjust the date/time in a JPG file created in an Olympus TG-4 camera.

Command: exiftool -AllDates-=6 20150718_P7180022.JPG

I get the following error:

Error: [minor] Bad format (0) for EquipmentIFD entry 0 - 20150718_P7180022.JPG
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

when dumping all of the data (-k option), most of the information looks correct/normal, except for the following entries:

Special Mode                    : Unknown (16843009), Sequence: 16974337, Panorama: Unknown (16843009)
Camera ID                       : ................................
Warning                         : Bad RawDevelopmentIFD directory

It happens with all of the files created by the TG-4. The example file was not taken in panoramic mode. I don't think there is a problem with the command since the same command works on Canon 70D files.

Any help or ideas how to update the Date/Time on these files?

Thanks.

Hayo Baan

Looks like your files are corrupted, or at least that exiftool thinks they are. Hopefully this is something Phil can determine/fix.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

My TG-4 sample here doesn't show this problem, so likely the files were edited by some other software that messed up things.  If you send me a sample I'll take a look to see if anything can be done to fix this.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

PeterN

Hi -

Phil is correct. I had used Bridge CS5 to download/rename the pictures from the SD Card. When the "preserve Current Filename in XMP" is checked, the file is corrupted as in the original post. In the original file or when that box is not checked, there is no corruption.

With the "preserve filename" box checked on the Canon 70D files, there is no corruption.

Example files sent to Phil for further examination.

Thanks Phil!!!

Phil Harvey

Hi Peter,

Yes.  In typical fashion, the Adobe software has completely destroyed the makernote information.  Adobe doesn't even attempt to support maker notes that store information in non-standard ways (like Olympus does for many models).  But honestly, I can't see how they botched it up so badly for this model.  The original maker notes are 12 kB in size, but only 146 bytes of this is preserved when you select the "preserve Current Filename in XMP" option. 

In general, Adobe has the most problem with Olympus maker notes.  I haven't seen similar problems for Canon or Nikon images (excepting of course that Adobe Photoshop completely deletes the makernotes of all images).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).