Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Peter_B, July 31, 2015, 10:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_B

Aargh! I installed Windows 10 yesterday (over Win 8.1 on an Acer laptop) and the only program that is giving me consistent problems is ExiToolGUI. I cannot get v 5.16 (using ExifTool 9.99) to run consistently - sometimes it starts properly once or twice, then the crashes start. Other times it just crashes right from the start. I tried Compatibility analysis etc, tried running as Administrator (seemed to help at first but now no use) and also tried changing permissions on "exiftool.exe" in C:\Windows folder. All to no avail.  I'm going to poke around using Windows tools such as Resmon and ProgExp/Progmon but don't really hold out much hope. Maybe I need to resurrect a virtual machine (VMWare perhaps, because I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro).

BTW, version 4.27 and also v 3.42 (both with exiftool 9.99) worked. They just don't have some of the functionality of v5 that I've grown used to! I also tested exiftool.exe via a command window and it works properly by itself.

Will let you know if I find any solution...

Cheers,
  Peter

jacal

Sorry, this suggestion might be completely unusable for you, and I am using Windows 7 anyway, but perhaps you could try my way:

As a long-time user of ExifToolGUI, I have never put exiftool.exe in my C:\Windows directory. On my second disk I have a collection of "portable" programs, one of them being ExifToolGUI in it's own directory, containing latest version of exiftool.exe, .ExifTool_config file, ExifToolGUI with saved workspaces, settings etc. In Windows "Environment Variables" I added the path to exiftool.exe, and everything, ExifTool and GUI, works without problems.

Have a nice day!

-Mart

Peter_B

Hi, Mart,

thanks for your suggestion. I have tried this, removing exiftool.exe from Windows folder, and placing it and the .config file in a separate folder, with Path variable modified to suit. Still plays up most of the time.  But although I get a majority of starts ending in crashes, sometimes ExiftoolGUI does work properly. So now, I'm hibernating my laptop with ExiftoolGUI constantly running in the background! OK, I'll eventually need to restart if only for a Windows update, but for now, it solves the immediate need.

I haven't yet managed to find time to pursue SysInternals Process Monitor (or the even more daunting Process Dump) investigation, but I may get time this coming weekend. Whether my Windows skills are up to it, also remains to be seen. The ideal solution would be to have the original source code and compiler (? Delphi) on Windows 10, and run the program within that IDE, so that the exact place the problem occurs would be obvious.

Cheers,
  Peter

darkRaven

Hi,

try to "start as admin" This works for me.

What is strange: Laptop, Win10 ExifToolGui starts ok - PC Win10 pro (update from 7 ultimate) I have the same problems as you do.

Peter_B

Hi, darkRaven,

I have tried Admin rights, and at the moment I'm running with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode AND Admin rights, and the GUI still only runs successfully about 40% of the time!

This will have to suffice for now.

Cheers,
  Peter

wilsberg

Same problem here. Last time it worked, now I have updated to exiftool-10.02: not.
But I don't think its an exiftool-problem.
My problem is, that I can't start on the path-window with the root-directory. It starts at desktop.

Peter_B

Finally I got sick of niggling problems with my laptop, clearly the Win 10 upgrade over Win 8.1 didn't really work properly. So I downloaded full Win 10 upgrade, formatted the Windows partition, and installed Win 10. That has sorted out the issue. ExifToolGUI now starts perfectly well each time. By the way, I also fixed a problem which caused "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" error - effectively a blue screen crash - randomly when coming out of sleep or hibernation. So all is now well with my world!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: fernoh123 on October 23, 2015, 08:26:06 AM
clearly the Win 10 upgrade over Win 8.1 didn't really work properly. So I downloaded full Win 10 upgrade, formatted the Windows partition, and installed Win 10. That has sorted out the issue.

Great!

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

blende8

Win 10 Pro 64 bit (updated from 8.1).

I just unzipped both Exiftool and the GUI into the same directory and then started the GUI.
It worked fine!

Thank you very much for this!
Kudos to Phil and Bogdan!

newmikeman

So is that the recommended fix - reinstall Windows 10 from scratch?
I'm not about to do that just on a hunch.

PDL

My method of choice is to create a folder and unzip the appropriate tools into it. For example on my machines I created a ExifTool folder in the DriveLetter:\Program Files (x86) folder. The path would be, in the case of my desktop, D:\Program Files (x86)\ExifTool. I then add that path into the system path.
Right click the windows "button" -> select System -> Click Advanced system settings -> click Environment Variables -> Lower panel select path click edit -> click New and add in the path. Click OK until you are out of control panel, open a Command/CMD/DOS prompt and type in exiftool. You should be golden.

Windows 10 does not like users putting non-Microsoft software into the %windir% folders, you can do it, but it is a pain in the behind.

Hope this helps - PDL