Running EXIFTOOL does nothing - CTRL-C to exit - Terminating on signal SIGINT(2)

Started by ammalena, July 31, 2016, 12:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammalena

Greetings -

Windows 10 system (just updated to the July "update" that was just pushed out).

When I run EDIFTOOL, it simply sits there, not out put.  I hit CTRL-C to kill it.

Tried:

• Administrator and non-administrator command prompt
  • Filename originall with (-k) and renamed
  • Compatibility mode for Windows XP and 7
  • Adding "test.jpg" (which exists local to the EXE)
  • A multitude of other variations
  • Searching web and this site for similar reports

I'm assuming/hoping this is something simple, though I DID see one Forum exchange where the dev worked on some Windows 10 problems but again, I've not seen this particular thing reported.  The EXE just sits there, cursor blinking on the next line.  Task Manager shows 0% usage.  (shrug)  I'm at a loss.  Image attached of what I see.

Help.

-Anthony
-Anthony

Hayo Baan

The problem is Windows Defender. See this thread for more information and a solution/work-around.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

ammalena

I hve replied at the thread you linked - that did not work (either method).
-Anthony

ammalena

I went ahead and read "further back" in that thread, about setting the system var.   That begins to fix it.  I'm playing with it now.  Currently, it's ran, and in the TEMP folder created 10.6MB of files (but that number is climbing) so we'll see what happens when it is done....
-Anthony

ammalena

Okay, a minute later it finished, and gave me help text that tells me it SHOULD WORK now.   Thanks.  ;-)    Including that system variable in my bootup is simple enough.
-Anthony

ammalena

Even more simply, a (shortcut to a) BAT file which sets the var, then runs the EXE, works fine, including the drag-and-drop ability.  Nift.

@echo off
c:
cd \Users\Tony\EXIFTool
set PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP=c:\Users\Tony\EXIFTool\temp
exiftool %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9  >  C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\EXIFTool_Output.txt
pause
-Anthony

Phil Harvey

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for posting your solution.  I'm glad you got it working.  It is really unfortunate that Windows 10 updates seem to be making it harder and harder to run ExifTool.  :(

In your case it seemed like maybe a permissions problem writing in the default temp directory, but I would think that running as Administrator should get around that.  And 1 minute to launch ExifTool is rediculous.   It should be a few seconds to unpack the temporary files the first time ExifTool is launched. Something else is interfering with ExifTool's file i/o, which is characteristic of a virus scanner.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pandavr

To whom it may concern. I was able to run the app in Win10 simply by copying the files:
exiftool.exe
jhead.exe
jpegtran.exe
in C:/Windows folder.

That alone solved the "Cannot find exiftool" problem in Windows 10.

I hope this may help someone.