Ubuntu Repo out of date

Started by tin_can, August 13, 2012, 04:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin_can

The version of exiftool available in the Ubuntu repo is 8.60. Any chance of getting the repo updated or publishing a PPA?

Thanks.

Phil Harvey

I suppose that the Ubuntu and Debian packages are related in some manner?  Bug reports have been filed with the Debian package because the maintainer is not very responsive.

Personally, I don't see that advantage when the Perl installation is so simple:

perl Makefile.pl
sudo make install

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tin_can

Definitely agree - no real advantage when the Perl installation is very simple. Nonetheless, users who like to install from repos will end up with an older version. Maybe it would be better to just remove it all together from the repos?

Personally I'm a fan of PPAs, but to each his own.

Phil Harvey

The problem for the Debian package is an unresponsive package maintainer.  She should just orphan the package so some other more responsive maintainer could pick it up, but for some reason she refuses to do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).