Exiftool APPCRASH

Started by klneumann, September 03, 2012, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klneumann

system type: windows 7
version: 9.0.1
command line example: exiftool (-k -copyright='klaus').exe

Hi,

When I try to change jpg files which are written by Gimp 2.6.11 I get an Exiftool APPCRASH.
In my example I used Gimp to scale down the image to 1280 * 720 pixel. jpg_exiftool_tmp is generated and Exiftool crashes.

I tried older versions and found that 8.7.1 is able to change the file (I found this version on my computer).

I try to attach an example jpg but I always get an error (security check failed)???

Regards and thanks
Klaus

Phil Harvey

Hi Klaus,

You can email me the JPEG directly (philharvey66 at gmail.com).

Thanks.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Klaus,

Great, thanks for the sample!

I can reproduce this problem.  ExifTool hangs when decoding corrupted Sony "MoreInfo" metadata.  The MoreInfo decoding was added in ExifTool 8.94.  I will add a patch to guard against this problem and ExifTool 9.02 will fix this.

Thanks for the bug report!!

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

klneumann

Hi Phil,

thanks for the upcoming version! 

So it seems that Gimp damage Sony "MoreInfo" metadata. Exiftool works well when I change the original out of cam jpg files. Maybe I try to send a bug report to Gimp, too. But after all a new Exiftool version will solve my problem.

Thank you for your quick response and best regards
Klaus

klneumann

Hi Phil,

version 9.0.2 works well !!!!

Regards
Klaus

Phil Harvey

Hi Klaus,

Great!  Thanks for the confirmation.

- Phil