Main Menu

Recent posts

FAQ #29, "My options don't work in a -@ ARGFILE"
QuoteAlso, arguments should not be quoted
Please help me get geolocation working. I'm using geolocation.html for documentation.
My test file has good GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude. I want to test the first example illustrated in geolocation.html.

Trying an args file:
#args file
-api
geolocation
"-geolocation*"
E:\test.jpg

Exiftool replies with all the tags in the test file, but not the Geolocation City, Region etc as shown in the example.

Strait from the command line.
exiftool -api geolocation "-geolocation*" test.jpg
No reply from exiftool using the this command.
Metadata / Re: AFInfo Tags for Pentax K3-...
Last post by ulrichk7 - Today at 01:12:35 PM
Thank you StarGeek for the quick reply.
Yes, I was afraid of that. 4976 is a bit too much for trial and error.
I also read somewhere that the meaning might change in different firmware versions.
So I guess I will live with the two easy steps and - in case - do the coloring manually according to the LCD info.

Ulrich
Metadata / Re: AFInfo Tags for Pentax K3-...
Last post by StarGeek - Today at 10:33:44 AM
Unfortunately, most camera companies do not document their MakerNotes. What is known of the MakerNotes has only been found by people testing things out by taking a photo, changing a setting, taking another photo, compare what has changed, etc.

It's quite probable that nobody knows what all that data means. Two of the tags listed under AFInfo literally have "Unknown" in their name.

So there's not much help to be offered. With thousands of lines of data, it seems like a huge task that nobody has felt it was worth the time needed to decode it, especially since camera companies are constantly changing formats and the results might not be transferable to other models.
Metadata / AFInfo Tags for Pentax K3-iii
Last post by ulrichk7 - Today at 07:22:54 AM
HI,

found some infos about the tag here .
This seems to be what is used by the K3-iii (the AFPointsInFocus is empty), but some of the info is not relevant for K3-iii(?)

I wonder, if it is possible to get the points in focus and to assign them to one of the 101(!) AF points of the camera.
The camera knows this  ;) see attachment - foto of the LCD monitor and the red-dot mark of the point in focus (Autofocus_sample.jpg).

My 'project' is to show this on the PC. Therefor I extract the (smaller) jpg from the DNG by
exiftool -b -W %d%f_AF.%s -copy0:previewimage -PreviewImage picture.DNG

An then fade it and compose with a prepared png of all AF points by
convert picture_AF.jpg -fill white -colorize 50% AF_points.png -gravity center -composite picture_with_AF_points.jpg

This works quite well and results in the second attachment (picture_with_AFpoints.jpg).

While this was the easy part, the question is now how to get the points in focus from the EXIF AFInfo and color them in red in the output?

exiftool -U -s '-Pentax_AFInfo*' picture.DNG
gives me 4976 lines of output.

I could prepare some sample DNG or need advice how to proceed.
Thank you in advance

Ulrich

The "exiftool" Application / Re: Add timezone to MOV video ...
Last post by StarGeek - May 25, 2024, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: Grouaaah on May 25, 2024, 07:56:41 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on May 24, 2024, 10:19:55 AM
QuoteI wish DST was no longer used anywhere.

I'm with you.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about this by saying that the DST thing was a problem. Maybe it's not related.

Heh, we do consider it a problem. And by "it" I mean Daylight Savings as a concept.

Quote from: StarGeek on May 25, 2024, 11:20:19 AMThe EXIF tags are supposed to be set to local time and by themselves, cannot include a time zone. The EXIF standard stores the time zone in three separate tags (see below).
(I assume this sentence applies to videos only)

No, it is a blanket statement about EXIF tags.  Remember, EXIF is not a generic term for metadata, it is a very specific type of metadata.  All EXIF data is metadata, but not all metadata is EXIF data.

QuoteI was asking all these questions because I have a Canon camera that creates the three OffsetTime tags as you said, and another one just a bit older that doesn't create any OffsetTime tag at all. This was weird to me, I wanted to know if that was an error or inconsistency or anything.

The addition of the OffsetTime* is... well, I can't say new anymore, but the adaptation of the tags is still relatively new. They were added to the EXIF spec in 2016 and didn't see widespread usage until about 2020.
Metadata / Re: OMDS OM1-ii has new AF tra...
Last post by Phil Harvey - May 25, 2024, 08:24:34 PM
Hi Herb,

Great, thanks.  This will be added in ExifTool 12.86.

- Phil
The "exiftool" Application / Re: Add timezone to MOV video ...
Last post by Grouaaah - May 25, 2024, 07:56:41 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on May 24, 2024, 10:19:55 AM
QuoteI wish DST was no longer used anywhere.

I'm with you.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about this by saying that the DST thing was a problem. Maybe it's not related.

Quote from: StarGeek on May 25, 2024, 11:20:19 AMThe EXIF tags are supposed to be set to local time and by themselves, cannot include a time zone. The EXIF standard stores the time zone in three separate tags (see below).
(I assume this sentence applies to videos only) Thank you, this is more clear now. I was asking all these questions because I have a Canon camera that creates the three OffsetTime tags as you said, and another one just a bit older that doesn't create any OffsetTime tag at all. This was weird to me, I wanted to know if that was an error or inconsistency or anything. Now I know that it is not, just something I have to leave as is. Anyway, I cannot edit those tags with a simple "exiftool -OffsetTime*=+01:00 test.jpg"

Thank you!
Hi,

I could replicate all of John's observations on my Canon R6 with ExifTool 12.76. (Thanks John!)

However, the wording of the USMLensElectronicMF values seems incorrect. ExifTool converts these values as follows:
2: Disable in AF Mode
0: Enable After AF
1: Disable After AF
3: Unknown (3)
but the Canon user manuals for the R5 and R6, and the menu on my camera, look like this:
2: Disable after One-Shot
0: One-Shot->enabled
1: One-Shot->enabled (magnify)
3: Disable in AF mode
Note in particular that ExifTool currently reports value 2 as Disable in AF mode. Reporting value 3 also with the same string would be confusing.

This is with firmware 1.8.3 of the R6, with a Canon RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM attached.
I checked the manual for firmware version 1.4, and the available settings for this were the same, so I doubt these values have changed meaning recently.

Reference for the Canon R5: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF
Reference for the Canon R6: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF (this section is identical to the R5)
Metadata / OMDS OM1-ii has new AF trackin...
Last post by herb - May 25, 2024, 04:10:41 PM
Hello Phil,

Following the thread in German Olympus forum https://www.oly-forum.com/topic/36527-om1-markii-14bit-high-res/
I learned that the latest OMDS camera OM1-ii is able to produce highres images with 14-bit.
For test purposes I downloaded sample images from https://www.mydrive.ch/shares/99631/4904ea9e1cec1bd98cbb89ecbecdb172/browse#/ released by forum-member MartyMacfly
and have seen that this camera writes a new AF tracking value for tag

- 0x0309 AISubjectTrackingMode [Value 0]   6 == Human
- 0x031b AFPointDetails [Value 0]      0x6 == Human

Human is the word OMDS has choosen in its manual.

Thanks in advance
herb