Nikon NEF Release Mode

Started by thartmanjr, February 08, 2023, 02:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thartmanjr

Phil,

I've just started to use ExifTool and I don't see ReleaseMode (Single, Continuous L, etc.) metadata in my NEF raw files. It may be a user error on my part and I'm overlooking the info. I dumped all the metadata to an output file and did a search but didn't see it.

BTW, great tool, thank you!

Tom

StarGeek

My Nikon is old, but it looks like ShootingMode may be the tag you're looking for
[Nikon]         ShootingMode                    : Continuous
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

thartmanjr

Here are the following pieces of info requested:
•Exiftool Version: 12.55
•File Type: Nikon NEF
•Camera: Z6ii

I saw ShootingMode and was curious if that was the tag. My output for that tag shows "Continuous, Auto ISO". If it is the right tag, it's an unexpected mix of information. I don't think of Auto ISO being connected to Release Mode.

I apologize, I'm not sure what was being requested with the image showing the Code button.  The image was cut off by the following item requesting OS, etc.

I did used the command from FAQ 3: [exiftool -a -G1 -s e:\DCIM\100NZ6_2\DSC_0965.NEF > m:\books\out.txt] and it
generated the following for Shooting Mode: [Nikon]  ShootingMode   : Continuous, Auto ISO

Phil Harvey

It looks like the Continuous High/Low setting is not yet decoded for the Z6ii.  It likely exists somewhere in the huge ShotInfo block, but finding it would take some testing.  But there is a CLModeShootingSpeed tag that should tell you the shooting seed in Continuous Low mode (although not very useful if you don't know what mode you are in).

There is so much unknown information in the Nikon maker notes that changes from model to model, and decoding each tag for a specific model takes some effort.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

thartmanjr

Phil,

I think I'll be able to work with the combination of the ShootingMode and CLModeShootingSpeed. Thank you for your help.

Tom

Phil Harvey

I've just asked Warren Hatch about this, and he was able to decode the ReleaseMode for the Z7ii, which should be the same as the Z6ii.  So ExifTool 12.47 should be able to extract this from NEF images.

- Phil

thartmanjr

Phil,

Thank you for adding the ReleaseMode decoding.

Tom