Main Menu

Recent posts

The "exiftool" Application / Re: Add timezone to MOV video ...
Last post by StarGeek - May 25, 2024, 09:28:33 PM
Quote from: Grouaaah on May 25, 2024, 07:56:41 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on May 24, 2024, 10:19:55 AM
QuoteI wish DST was no longer used anywhere.

I'm with you.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about this by saying that the DST thing was a problem. Maybe it's not related.

Heh, we do consider it a problem. And by "it" I mean Daylight Savings as a concept.

Quote from: StarGeek on May 25, 2024, 11:20:19 AMThe EXIF tags are supposed to be set to local time and by themselves, cannot include a time zone. The EXIF standard stores the time zone in three separate tags (see below).
(I assume this sentence applies to videos only)

No, it is a blanket statement about EXIF tags.  Remember, EXIF is not a generic term for metadata, it is a very specific type of metadata.  All EXIF data is metadata, but not all metadata is EXIF data.

QuoteI was asking all these questions because I have a Canon camera that creates the three OffsetTime tags as you said, and another one just a bit older that doesn't create any OffsetTime tag at all. This was weird to me, I wanted to know if that was an error or inconsistency or anything.

The addition of the OffsetTime* is... well, I can't say new anymore, but the adaptation of the tags is still relatively new. They were added to the EXIF spec in 2016 and didn't see widespread usage until about 2020.
Metadata / Re: OMDS OM1-ii has new AF tra...
Last post by Phil Harvey - May 25, 2024, 08:24:34 PM
Hi Herb,

Great, thanks.  This will be added in ExifTool 12.86.

- Phil
Last post by Grouaaah - May 25, 2024, 07:56:41 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on May 24, 2024, 10:19:55 AM
QuoteI wish DST was no longer used anywhere.

I'm with you.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about this by saying that the DST thing was a problem. Maybe it's not related.

Quote from: StarGeek on May 25, 2024, 11:20:19 AMThe EXIF tags are supposed to be set to local time and by themselves, cannot include a time zone. The EXIF standard stores the time zone in three separate tags (see below).
(I assume this sentence applies to videos only) Thank you, this is more clear now. I was asking all these questions because I have a Canon camera that creates the three OffsetTime tags as you said, and another one just a bit older that doesn't create any OffsetTime tag at all. This was weird to me, I wanted to know if that was an error or inconsistency or anything. Now I know that it is not, just something I have to leave as is. Anyway, I cannot edit those tags with a simple "exiftool -OffsetTime*=+01:00 test.jpg"

Thank you!
Hi,

I could replicate all of John's observations on my Canon R6 with ExifTool 12.76. (Thanks John!)

However, the wording of the USMLensElectronicMF values seems incorrect. ExifTool converts these values as follows:
2: Disable in AF Mode
0: Enable After AF
1: Disable After AF
3: Unknown (3)
but the Canon user manuals for the R5 and R6, and the menu on my camera, look like this:
2: Disable after One-Shot
0: One-Shot->enabled
1: One-Shot->enabled (magnify)
3: Disable in AF mode
Note in particular that ExifTool currently reports value 2 as Disable in AF mode. Reporting value 3 also with the same string would be confusing.

This is with firmware 1.8.3 of the R6, with a Canon RF 70-200mm F4L IS USM attached.
I checked the manual for firmware version 1.4, and the available settings for this were the same, so I doubt these values have changed meaning recently.

Reference for the Canon R5: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF
Reference for the Canon R6: Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 : Customizing AF Functions : Lens electronic MF (this section is identical to the R5)
Metadata / OMDS OM1-ii has new AF trackin...
Last post by herb - May 25, 2024, 04:10:41 PM
Hello Phil,

Following the thread in German Olympus forum https://www.oly-forum.com/topic/36527-om1-markii-14bit-high-res/
I learned that the latest OMDS camera OM1-ii is able to produce highres images with 14-bit.
For test purposes I downloaded sample images from https://www.mydrive.ch/shares/99631/4904ea9e1cec1bd98cbb89ecbecdb172/browse#/ released by forum-member MartyMacfly
and have seen that this camera writes a new AF tracking value for tag

- 0x0309 AISubjectTrackingMode [Value 0]   6 == Human
- 0x031b AFPointDetails [Value 0]      0x6 == Human

Human is the word OMDS has choosen in its manual.

Thanks in advance
herb
Newbies / Re: Use subtitle info to popul...
Last post by Phil Harvey - May 25, 2024, 01:41:27 PM
Just FYI: ExifTool does extract some formats of GPS from the subtitle track, but there are likely more out there that ExifTool doesn't yet recognize.  However, it doesn't yet recognize any .srt files.

- Phil
The "exiftool" Application / Re: trk/rte and wpt in GPX fmt...
Last post by Phil Harvey - May 25, 2024, 01:39:02 PM
I could have mentioned that you may combine this into a single command line:

exiftool -p one.fmt -execute -p two.fmt -common_args DIR > out.gpx

- Phil
Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 24, 2024, 04:00:02 PMThis is great, thanks!  I've been quite busy recently but I'll add these when I get a chance.

- Phil

No rush. Thanks again.

I just realized that the URLs I included are accidentally hy language instead of en. Editing the URL to en will get one the English version. My browser translated it for me, so I did not notice.
Newbies / Re: Use subtitle info to popul...
Last post by StarGeek - May 25, 2024, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: wywh on May 25, 2024, 05:00:13 AMBy "subtitle data" do you mean a sidecar .srt text file?

Some videos embed the GPS data as a subtitle stream. I had assumed it was srt, but actually checking the sample file I have (from a Thinkware Q800PRO), I'm not sure. The subtitle stream I had extracted from it was in srt, but I realize now that is only because I specified srt in the ffmpeg I used at the time. Checking now, I see it is saved as mov_text in the file and is formatted differently.
Last post by StarGeek - May 25, 2024, 11:20:19 AM
Quote from: Grouaaah on May 25, 2024, 07:30:47 AMOkay, this is clear, thanks! So for a picture located in France in winter (UTC+1) we do agree on the fact that if DST is "On" in the metadata, but that the "UTC+01:00" is present in the picture, there is no need to have this DST tag in the metadata?

You can't remove the DaylightSavings tag. Individual MakerNotes tags can't be deleted or created. The value of this tag is set to either "ON" or "OFF". Using your example, the TimeZone will be set to +01:00 and will not change. Then you would change the Daylight Savings setting in the camera when Daylight Savings starts/ends and this will change the value of the DaylightSavings.

QuoteThis is why you were talking about getting rid of that DST thing?

I don't believe I said that, as you can't remove this tag. Let me know where I said that, so I can clarify it.

QuoteI did "exiftool -a -G1 -s image.jpg" and I see the same tags as with "exiftool image.jpg" command, I didn't understand what you meant here?

You should see duplicate CreateDate and ModifyDate entries at the very least. For example, here the ModifyDate appears in Quicktime and IFD0, and CreateDate appears in Quicktime and ExifIFD
C:\>exiftool -time:all --system:all -G1 -a -s 2012-03-17_14.44.10.MOV"
[IFD0]          ModifyDate                      : 2012:03:17 14:44:11
[ExifIFD]       DateTimeOriginal                : 2012:03:17 14:44:11
[ExifIFD]       CreateDate                      : 2012:03:17 14:44:11
[QuickTime]     CreateDate                      : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[QuickTime]     ModifyDate                      : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track1]        TrackCreateDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track1]        TrackModifyDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track1]        MediaCreateDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track1]        MediaModifyDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track2]        TrackCreateDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track2]        TrackModifyDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track2]        MediaCreateDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11
[Track2]        MediaModifyDate                 : 2012:03:17 21:44:11

QuoteActually, I was just wondering if I could leave the [IFD0] ModifyDate and [ExifIFD] DateTimeOriginal and [ExifIFD] CreateDate in local time without any timezone associated, as the 3-times extract command doesn't work on this type of file?l

The EXIF tags are supposed to be set to local time and by themselves, cannot include a time zone. The EXIF standard stores the time zone in three separate tags (see below).

My advice is the same as in @wywh's first post. Just ignore the EXIF tags in videos. Almost nothing will read this data. I know of one program that will, but that's only because it uses exiftool on the backend.

Quote"But I would suggest also including the OffsetTime* tags, e.g. '-OffsetTime*=+02:00'" I realize I don't really know the difference between timezone and OffsetTime. Isn't offset used to refer to a difference between two times? How can it be used in a fixed file metadata.

The three OffsetTime* tags, OffsetTime, OffsetTimeOriginal, and OffsetTimeDigitized, are used to show the actual local time zone at the time when the picture was taken. So, for your images, they would be set to either +01:00 or +02:00. These are part of the EXIF specs. They do not indicate if the time zone was Daylight savings or not, they are just the actual time zone.

TimeZone is a proprietary MakerNotes tag, specific to certain cameras.