Apply keywords to images using a list of filenames and keywords

Started by africangoldencat, November 10, 2014, 04:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

africangoldencat

I am wondering if there is a way to use a text file of EXIF data that was exported using exiftool to include -filename and -keywords and reapply keywords to the respective files. For example, column 1 row 1 is filename picture1.jpg and column 2 is keyword leopard; in row 2, we have picture2.jpg and column 2 row 2 is golden cat, etc for 60,000 images. I want to search an indicated directory for the filename and then apply the keyword in column 2 to that image.

This may have some application for camera trap studies (like mine) that back files up off site before they are keyworded, have someone at the field site apply keywords to them and then would like to apply the same keywords to the backup without sending 50Gb of data around the world.

Phil Harvey

This sounds like exactly what the -csv option is designed for.  Read the application documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

africangoldencat

Thanks for taking the time to answer a fairly dumb question Phil. When I looked through the documentation I had missed the Import part of the -csv command and glazed over it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It will save a lot of work key wording old 35mm camera trap photos as well.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: africangoldencat on November 10, 2014, 04:39:38 AM

This may have some application for camera trap studies (like mine) that back files up off site before they are keyworded, have someone at the field site apply keywords to them and then would like to apply the same keywords to the backup without sending 50Gb of data around the world.

Have you considered backing up using rsync?  rsync would not send the 50GB, just the changes.