Main Menu

History of Photo

Started by Joyce, November 09, 2014, 06:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce

What is the easiest way to view the history of a photo (if there is one).  I would like to see when the photo was created and if/when it was modified and by what program?  Sorry I am really new. Any help would be appreciated. 

Joyce

Phil Harvey

Hi Joyce,

In general, much of this type of information is not stored.  However, some image editors like Photoshop do store editing information in the metadata, which may be extracted with ExifTool.  Also, you can look at the EXIF Software tag, which is updated by some image editors.  You can also compare the EXIF ModifyDate with DateCreated to see if they match.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Joyce

Thanks Phil - However if you have a minute can you look at the web page below (picture that says samlple XMP data that shows the history of the changes).  I do not understand what program to use that has a   ASCII text editor ?  Also, will the changes only be stored if you are using certain types of programs?  For example, if I use Exiftool to modify a setting, will I ever be able to see the history of changes or will this only be stored in the orginal copy that Exiftool creates?

http://photographylife.com/how-to-delete-exif-data?relatedposts_hit=1&relatedposts_origin=4504&relatedposts_position=0

Thanks,

Joyce

Phil Harvey

Hi Joyce,

The XMP-crs information you refer to is stored by Photoshop.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).