Windows 11 -> after upgrade exiftool command line stopped working

Started by dwlott, February 16, 2022, 02:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwlott

I let windows upgrade my notebook to Windows 11. I'm thinking that's when exiftool.exe from the command line stopped working.  I updated my exiftool to 12.40, but the problem remained the same. 
The symptoms are: I would try ExifTool -ver (or any other option) from the command line and the window would hang, requiring a <ctrl> c to break, which returns: Terminating in signal SIGINT(2).

I tried the Oliver Betz installable and after that, ExifTool.exe does run from the C:\Program Files\ExifTool folder.  So I'll use that as a workaround.  But it's an added complexity because there is a space between Program and Files.  The \Program Files\ folder is protected, so I suppose I'll just keep using the old c:\exiftool\ folder for the ExifTool input and output files.  Is that the best way? 

Has anyone else seen differences using ExifTool in Windows 11, or has faced this and found workarounds?

StarGeek

Have you tried making sure that Defender isn't interfering? Maybe add exiftool as an exclusion. See here
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

dwlott

That is helpful.  Thank you.  I'm starting to like the installable better now, but I need to know how to do it both ways.  So, thank you for this bit of info on adding an exception to Windows defender. 

Oskar

Quote from: dwlott on February 16, 2022, 02:36:09 PM
I let windows upgrade my notebook to Windows 11. I'm thinking that's when exiftool.exe from the command line stopped working.  I updated my exiftool to 12.40, but the problem remained the same. 
The symptoms are: I would try ExifTool -ver (or any other option) from the command line and the window would hang, requiring a <ctrl> c to break, which returns: Terminating in signal SIGINT(2).

I tried the Oliver Betz installable and after that, ExifTool.exe does run from the C:\Program Files\ExifTool folder.  So I'll use that as a workaround.  But it's an added complexity because there is a space between Program and Files.  The \Program Files\ folder is protected, so I suppose I'll just keep using the old c:\exiftool\ folder for the ExifTool input and output files.  Is that the best way? 

Has anyone else seen differences using ExifTool in Windows 11, or has faced this and found workarounds?

I am on Windows11 too and exiftool full perl distro does not work at all. I am not a newbie - I am using this magnificent tool for decades already!

I tried both ActivePerl and StrawberryPerl but I get the same error on both of them even though I set "Run as admin" all Perl interpreters and executables. My exiftool would print only the help file even when I try exiftool.pl -ver. I guess all has to do with the permissions or with the way Windows11 has organized Powershell and Command Prompt. For now I am using the exiftool.exe