Main Menu

Google Map Problem

Started by HJW, June 14, 2011, 08:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJW

Much improved, thank you.  I had been ready to claim that the values were still being changed somewhat but just before posting I noticed they agree with those shown in Quick mode.  This resulted in a shift of 2Km from the actual location on the picture I was testing with
As I never use the Quick mode I had not noticed before that there is no longitude displayed, could this be a problem with our negative value
I love ExiftoolGUI for its original purpose, to provide an easy way to harness the power of Exiftool... keep up the good work
Hal

BogdanH

Hi Hal,
Quote...This resulted in a shift of 2Km from the actual location on the picture I was testing with
-I'm confused.. is it OK now, or is there still some (2Km) problem with v.4.12.1?

About Longitude not being shown in Quick mode...  :)  The thing is I've used (shown) Latitude value in Quick view for my programming needs -for easier locating where decimal digits truncation occurs in GUI. That is, it's not that Longitude is somehow "missing" in Quick view, in contrary: Latitude shouldn't be there -I've forgot to remove that entry when I've made final compilation.
As I've mentioned elsewhere before, Quick view is ment for displaying only most essential metadata tags in high(er) speed. For that purpose I have "invented" Geotagged entry there, which only tells if image is Exif geotagged or not -actual values are not that important for "quickie". If needed, they can be seen/checked in Exif or Custom view mode. What I'm trying to say is: Latitude value won't be displayed in next GUI release.
And about "coordinate in Quick view not having negative value"... In Exif, negative coordinates doesn't exist -there are separate tags (LatitudeRef and LongitudeRef which serve that purpose). However, when "sent" from GUI toward GoogleMap, coordinates are first signed as needed, because GoogleMap expects signed coordinates.

A bit longer explanation, but I think, sometimes, it's good to know some "background" -and I have a chance for my English training  :)

Bogdan

HJW

I am seeing an error still, 2Km in the test picture but many are less.  The value shown by the map pointer is the same as the latitude value shown in Quick view.  This value is not the same as what shows in Exif view and seems to be limited to 2 decimal places or end in a repeating 3 or 6
I have attached a screen capture showing the exif gps coordinates and those reported by the map.  The correct location is at the bridge just to the north

HJW

Now I am confused!   I just manually geotagged an image using ExiftoolGUI and it displayed properly, returning again to the others they are also in the proper locations? Whatever the problem this one seems to have been in my computer

BogdanH

You just saved my day  :)
Did you perhaps changed between GUI versions inbetween? Anyway, if you notice any strange behaviour, feel free to report.

Bogdan

HJW

I changed to the new version yesterday and did the screen capture then, after being powered down for the night I saw the same strange results this morning before posting.  The first attempt at geotagging with the new version produced a picture that showed normal looking latitude in quick view and located properly on the map. From then on all old pictures have worked as well.  Looking back it felt like I had been reusing cached data but I did not think your program used a cache
Once again Thank You
Hal