Main Menu

Canon 60D Exif

Started by BogdanH, October 03, 2010, 06:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogdanH

Hi Phil,

I've just downloaded 60D sample images (jpg and raw) from Imaging Resource, because those are supposed to be straight from camera.
I noticed, that they contain Exif:LensModel and Exif:LensInfo values. The weird thing is, that Exif:LensInfo is showing wrong aperture range.
Thus I wonder: is Canon writting this (wrong) info or is it done by owner of Imaging Resource? I'm asking you, because I've heard he (IR owner) migh using Exiftool for this... can you contact IR owner and get more info?

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

My 60D samples also have the wrong aperture range stored in EXIF:LensInfo.  Odd.

Yes, IR uses ExifTool, but they shouldn't be changing the values of tags like LensInfo.  They just use it to add copyright tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Quote from: Phil Harvey on October 03, 2010, 08:07:33 AM
...Yes, IR uses ExifTool, but they shouldn't be changing the values of tags like LensInfo...
-that's what I believe too.
If that's true, then either:
1. Canon 60D (the first one that populates those tags) has a bug, or
2. Exiftool doesn't decode this tag correctly (which I doubt).
-no other explanation comes to mind.

And now something really weird:
Just got latest Canon DPP (v3.9.0.2), which is supposed to be shipped with 60D (officially, this DPP version can't be downloaded from Canon site yet). And guess what? DPP doesn't recognize 60D raw files! -and I only have those from IR. I'll try to get some info in this regard...

Added:
According to Exiftool, tags Canon: FocusDustanceUpper/Lower are missing in those files. I'll try to find 60D sample image from some another source.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

In my 60D sample with production firmware (1.0.5), the aperture range is not written in the EXIF LensInfo (it shows up in exiftool as "18-135mm f/?").  Also, the FocusDistanceUpper/Lower tags are not written in this image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Because I can't edit my previous post anymore:

DPP not opening 60D files, was false "alarm". With 60D, newest DPP version (3.9.1.0) is shipped -thus, no mystery in this regard.

Bogdan