Exiftool got a mention and a link

Started by Alan Clifford, March 27, 2021, 05:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210324-the-hidden-fingerprint-inside-your-photos

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Fascinating.  I hadn't heard the stuff about each sensor having an individual fingerprint before, but it makes total sense once it's pointed out.  Yay, I learned something new today!
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: StarGeek on March 27, 2021, 10:51:59 AM
Fascinating.  I hadn't heard the stuff about each sensor having an individual fingerprint before, but it makes total sense once it's pointed out.  Yay, I learned something new today!

I'm a bit dubious. If you are making a jpeg from raw, either automatically in the camera or in software, doesn't all the pixel level stuff get smeared together?  And that smearing could depend on the software you are using?

Phil Harvey

The smearing definitely depends on the sharpening imposed by the development software, but artifacts of the sensor gain pattern would remain.  However, this will change over time as the sensor ages, and will complicate things for the forensic software.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).