Main Menu

Best Practices

Started by oozypal, July 19, 2020, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oozypal

Hello

I am a new newbie and I want to set a standardized process/tags to keep for all my photos. I usually take pictures by my mobile or camera. I usually spend so much time trying to have or keep data/tags/information that I might need in the future that might help me to get the feeling of the picture. I think it is a human nature to just want to have it all  :). I use GeoSetter so I try to fill in all info that appears in the software.  I also use Digikam and again I try to fill in every field I can fill. It just became daunting.

My question is what is the best practices that I can follow or series of tags that I can handle with Exiftoo that I do once for good and get done with it. A series of commands that I can run for every photo and go to Digikam for final touches then call it done.

I usually do the following :

1. Rename of photo as yyyymmdd_hhmmss (20200711_120203).
2. Ensure that each photo has it is Geolocation
3. Try to fill all fields related to date and time. However, I usually get stuck in the timezone.
4. Put few keywords that I can use for filtering.

Can you please share with me your processes and practices? In addition, which tags I should keep?

Thx

Phil Harvey

Personally I don't have the time to do this for all my photos.  My workflow involves simply downloading files into directories based on the image timestamps (using  exiftool "-directory<datetimeoriginal", and geotagging the ones that were taken while I had my GPS tracker running (using exiftool -geotag).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

oozypal

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 19, 2020, 09:18:43 PM
Personally I don't have the time to do this for all my photos.  My workflow involves simply downloading files into directories based on the image timestamps (using  exiftool "-directory<datetimeoriginal", and geotagging the ones that were taken while I had my GPS tracker running (using exiftool -geotag).

- Phil

Fair enough.

It would be great if the community create a batch (bash) code to do certain tasks that will do certain things such as

This code to fix the metadata (to start with)

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place  -all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -unsafe -icc_profile *.jpg

Fix XMP

exiftool  -overwrite_original_in_place -xmp:all= -tagsfromfile @ -xmp:all  *.jpg

This code to rename photos based on data

exiftool -overwrite_original -P -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S' \
    '-filename<${CreateDate}%-c.%e' \
    '-filename<${DateTimeOriginal}%-c.%e' \
    $@ -ext jpg -r .

This code to change photo date based on photo filename

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place "-alldates<filename" ./

Adding photographer name to all photos

Adding name/artist
exiftool -overwrite_original -artist="Your Name" ./

Separate photo that has GPS data from the one that doesn't. Then taking care of geotag the images that has no GPS data.

exiftool  -if '$GPSLatitude' -filename'<gps_$filename' -r .