Is there a "standard" date renaming?

Started by smaiderman, January 27, 2024, 06:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smaiderman

I want to add the datetaken to my image names, but I dont know if there is a proper way to do it.

I think I'll stick to YearMonthDayHourMinuteSecond, but I dont know if it is better to do this using - , blank space or nothing

Is there a standarized way to do this?

Thank you

Martin B.

There's the ISO 8601 standard, but it may not be suitable for file names. I am not aware of any standard for image names.

I use YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm-ss as in 2024-01-27_07-18-55, because it's easy to read, unambiguous, compatible with all operating systems I know of, and nicely sorts alphabetically. When more than one image was taken in the same second, I add a number-counter, as in 2024-01-27_07-18-55_1, 2024-01-27_07-18-55_2, etc. I think I remember a post from Phil where he says he uses the milliseconds, as in 2024-01-27_07-18-55.437, but I can't find that post, so I may be wrong. Be aware that milliseconds aren't always available (older cameras don't include this information in metadata); that's why I decided years ago to use an optional number-counter.

Phil Harvey

I name my files by ShutterCount, but I organize them in directories organized by date (YYYY/YYYY-mm-dd).  I use the full time (with subseconds) to locate the original raw file in this hierarchy if I need to retrieve it for editing since I don't keep the raw files on my main disk.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: smaiderman on January 27, 2024, 06:12:44 AMI want to add the datetaken to my image names, but I dont know if there is a proper way to do it.

I think I'll stick to YearMonthDayHourMinuteSecond, but I dont know if it is better to do this using - , blank space or nothing

Is there a standarized way to do this?

The proper way to do it is whatever works for you, even if everyone else looks at what you're doing and thinks "what the hell?"

Most people do use some sort of YearMonthDayHourMinuteSecond because of the obvious usefulness in sorting the files chronologically. Though there have been plenty of times when I've seen people use DayMonthYear or MonthDayYear or include the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc). 

If you plan on using the files with command line programs, then I would suggest hyphens - or underscores _ because otherwise the command line would need the file names to always be quoted.  Some people use dots as well.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).