Suggestion for batch editor

Started by NikoSilver, March 18, 2020, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikoSilver

Can anyone suggest a batch editor that will be able to copy the file creation date or file modification date to the exif creation date on multiple picture and video files (e.g. whole directories)?

I trust the ExifTool is the best tool to support such an editor. So which one is it?

Thanks in advance.

StarGeek

Exiftool can do do what you want with this command.
exiftool "-AllDates<FileModifyDate" /path/to/directory

FileCreateDate would replace FileModifyDate if you wanted to use the file creation date instead.

When it comes to videos, you should know that the spec for the timestamps in videos is supposed to be UTC but not all programs (Adobe programs, for example) read it that way.  Test the above command first and see if the programs you use read it properly.  If they don't, you can add the -api QuickTimeUTC option to fix that.

This command creates backup files.  Add the Overwrite_Original option to suppress the creation of backup files.  Add the -r (recurse) option to recurse into subdirectories.  If this command is run under Unix/Mac, reverse any double/single quotes to avoid bash interpretation.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

NikoSilver

Thank you!
But this would not allow me to double check everything on the screen before I execute. Some files have the correct date in other fields than others.

Ideally this app should be in a table format with filenames, extensions, file dates, exif dates, and I should be able to copy from either column to the others at will. Then, after having tweaked the whole table, to press an "execute" button, so that the changes are effected on the actual files.

btw the program that I need to fix the dates for is none other than the Apple Photo App for Mac. Unfortunately all files, especially videos, tend to be erroneously imported with today's date.

Phil Harvey

If file dates are showing up as today, it is likely the filesystem modification date (FileModifyDate) that is being used.  You can set this from the metadata date easily.

If you tell us exactly how you want to "tweak the table", then we can provide an exiftool command that will do this automatically for you.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

NikoSilver

Thank you Phil
Telling you exactly what I want is exactly the difficult point!

I already understood StarGeek's proposed command method (thanks!), but it is too difficult and tedious to apply it to each file individually, especially when we have many files in many subdirectories. Workaround would be to make new subdirectories with each category of necessary file treatment, but that too is difficult, especially when you cannot sort out easily which files need what.

I need to do different things to different files, and I can't know what to do if I don't have a complete view. For some I need the exif date to be copied everywhere. For others I need the File modification date. I cannot decide in advance unless I have everything on a table. See for example this screenshot fragment from a table of an app called Exif Tools (which btw I do not recommend because it has many bugs on their free version and very expensive full version which I seriously doubt will do the job).

(a) You will notice certain files (top) have erroneously been exif-dated 2007-2009 whereas they have correct 2004 file-modif dates. Here we want to copy file-modif date everywhere else.
(b) You will also notice other files (bottom) have accurate 2004 exif-dates but have been bulk file-dated on Apr.10.2004 - here we want to copy the exif-date everywhere else.

It would be awesome if I could sort the files in a table per any column (like in the screenshot), then horizontally shift-select multiple files (eg. group (a) or (b) above) and then choose to copy the column with the correct date across all other columns, see a preview of the changes, and then hit "execute".

Do you have such an app to recommend? Shall we make one? I can certainly finance it!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: NikoSilver on March 19, 2020, 10:49:15 AM
I already understood your proposed command method (thanks!), but it is too difficult and tedious to apply it to each file individually

I wasn't suggesting doing this on individual files.  I was thinking about coming up with a set of rules that could be applied to all files, then doing them all with a single command.  The rules can be as complex as you want, but must make the decision based only on tags found in the target file.  If this is not possible, then your idea of a GUI is the only reasonable alternative.  However, I don't know of such a GUI.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

NikoSilver

If you decide to create it I will definitely be on your side. I was serious about financing it. All user's photo/video libraries have such issues. We could possibly end up with a special add-on for a major photo library app! The user should be able to select the date of the photos and videos he/she is importing to the library.

Phil Harvey

At the moment, this project is not something I would be interested in taking on.

- Phil

obetz

Quote from: NikoSilver on March 19, 2020, 10:49:15 AM
I need to do different things to different files, and I can't know what to do if I don't have a complete view. For some I need the exif date to be copied everywhere. For others I need the File modification date. I cannot decide in advance unless I have everything on a table.

have a look at DAM (Digital Asset Management) software like IMatch.

But be prepared experiencing a steep learning curve and be cautions with the settings before you get into real use.

Oliver

NikoSilver

One app I found that does more or less the job and is not very expensive, although it needs a lot of improvement:

Batch MMedia Date Changer

Thanks for your suggestions and your time.