Export an Excel File with Only Couple Tags And Titles?

Started by KBS756, March 16, 2020, 04:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBS756

So I want to use EXIF tool to make it easy for me to stack images on my fujifilm XT-2 ...

So I have 1000,s of images that need to be placed into folders ... automatically ...
cant seem to find a solution ... tho if i could get the sequence number into the title i believe i could manage a way to achieve this

.... any suggestions how to rename file as filename - sequence number tag using EXIF tool?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

You can set the file name based on any tag names(s), like this:

exiftool "-filename<${TAG1}_some_random_text_${TAG2}_more_text.%e" DIR

...you can put any arbitrary string containing any number of tag names in the form "${TAG}" on the right side of the "<" symbol.

See here for more information about renaming/moving files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

KBS756

StarGeek

Phil listed the basic command to use in CMD (change double quotes to single quotes on Mac/Linux).

If you mean to keep the filename the same but add the FujiFilm SequenceNumber tag, then your command would be something like:
exiftool "-FileName<${Filename;s/\.[^.]*$//} - $SequenceNumber${Filename;m/(\.[^.]*$)/;$_=$1}" <FileOrDir>

This keeps the filename, but drops the extension, adds a (space)-(space), adds the FujiFilm SequenceNumber tag, then adds the extension back in.

If that's not what you want, then you need to clarify.  Understand, there are 10s of thousands of different tags that exiftool knows about and we don't know every tag name off hand.  You'll have to do some testing to figure out what you actually want to do (see FAQ #3).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).