Write protected tags

Started by Neuston, January 23, 2019, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neuston

i noticed that some tags are read only. i tryied to write them anyway  :D and i got this message "the [TAG] doesn't exist or isn't writable".

my question :
is it protected by the video owner (i didn't  :o) or camera device? by which method ?
or simply exiftool didn#t implement code for editing that specific TAG ? how can i add that ?

NB: trying to update GoPro mp4 metadata

regards,
Hatem

Phil Harvey

Hi Hatem,

Only a small number of tags are writable in video files by ExifTool, mainly for technical reasons since the video format landscape resembles a muddy mine field.

For writing video files, ffmpeg is probably the way to go.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

To clarify, it's not possible to write protect metadata.  Exiftool doesn't have the code to write those tags. 

As an example of how much of a mess the video situation is, Phil had to add some 20+ variations on just extracting a GPS track from videos.  And I recall one case of exiftool messing up one person's video (Phil was able to fix it) because the video was encoded differently from every other video.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Neuston

:'( thanks anyway.
i need to gather some knowledge about metadata stuff now.
i gived ffmpeg a try it seems to run for long time then don't update the wanted TAGS, even no warning or info shown about it's failure.

StarGeek

Make sure you're copying streams and not re-encoding.  Search around for the options but it's usually something along these lines
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -metadata title="New Title" outfile.mp4
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).