Truncated keywords data

Started by marciano, June 19, 2010, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marciano

I am trying to copy Description and Keywords from files in dir1 to files in dir2 (same quantity and names)
I am using exiftool -tagsfromfile /path to dir1/%f.%e -description -keywords /path to dir 2
The problem I found is
Warning: [minor] IPTC:Keywords exceeds length limit (truncated)

I've read that there's a limit on each comma separated keyword string.
My keywords (keyword in each file, because I don't use commas) exceeds length limit.
The issue is that those long keywords do exist in iptc data, I've created them in Adobe Bridge and they are also displayed in 'Get Info' file data
How can I copy the entire keyword string from one file to the other?
Thank you
PS: reading also truncates keyword

Phil Harvey

There are a few possible solutions:

1) You maybe want to write XMP:Subject and not IPTC:Keywords.  This is likely what Bridge is doing.

2) If you really want to exceed the limit of the IPTC specification, ExifTool will do this for you if you use the -m option to ignore the minor error.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

marciano

Hello Phil, thanks for your quick answer.
Added -m option.  No error message but keywords are truncated.

marciano

I was scared about a script I created long time ago that uses exiftool to store some metadata props into a database only stored truncated data.
But it didn't happened.
I don't look for individual props.   I do exiftool file >data.txt and then analyze this file to get the props I want to keep.
So, I checked that a simple exiftool file.jpg command displays complete keywords content

Phil Harvey

I don't understand the problem because I can copy long IPTC keywords here with -m.

I should be able to figure out what is going on if you give me your exact command and upload some sample images so I can reproduce the problem.

ExifTool will always extract the full value, even if it exceeds the specified length.  It is just in writing that ExifTool reminds you if you are exceeding the limit.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

marciano

Hello Phil,
I posted some wrong data.
I never get Keywords contain more than ** characters.
As you said Bridge puts long Keyword data into xmp:subject field; Keyword is always truncated
If I remember well -m option does the same thing.
I solve the problem avoiding Keywords.
exiftool -tagsfromfile dir/%f.%e -description -XMP:Subject /dir2

I didn't remember my script (to store data into a database table) checks if XMP:Subject exists, if yes, then replace Keywords

Thank you and your tool, it is very useful