DNG files from Google Pixel 8 Pro with unknown maker notes

Started by hluxem, April 30, 2024, 11:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

Hello,
This is my first post in this forum, I hope I posted in the right section. I use Imatch to manage my picture files. Imatch uses ExifTool to add and modify meta data in the image files. So far I have never had a problem with meta data. I recently got a new Google Pixel 8 Pro phone and I have seen bad time stamps after meta data write back. While trying to trouble shoot this, the author of Imatch suggested that there are some issues with the maker notes in the files and I should post a link to the images in this forum.

QuoteThe Metadata Analyst gives the file a GREEN - NO ERROR, except for the unknown/invalid maker note warnings. Google seems to have changed their maker notes again and ExifTool will have to catch up when Phil figures out what they have changed now.

This is an original DNG file from the phone:
PXL_20240121_001241883.RAW-02.ORIGINAL-from phone.zip

This is the file with bad time stamps
PXL_20240121_001241883.RAW-02.ORIGINAL.zip

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem with the time stamps, it happens randomly and quite frequently (145 files the last time). I can't force the issue even if I change the same meta data. The only consistency is that the last 4 digits from the subsecond tag end up as the year.

•   Files are imported straight out of a Google Pixel 8 phone, all values, including times are correct.
•   Adding several location tags, author tags and change the rating, everything still looks fine, file marked as pending write back
•   Writing back meta data, some/many files end up like the file attached.
•   This only happens to the DNG files, the JPG files work fine
•   For all files the last 4 digits from the sub second tag become the year part of the date time stamp.

Here is a link to the thread in the imatch forum:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,14204.msg99856.html#msg99856

Thanks,
Heiner

Phil Harvey

Hi Heiner,

Your links here for the sample files don't work, but I found the correct links in the iMatch forum.

I'll post back when I have a chance to look at them.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).