How to enter the TagID as an hex ID?

Started by Raptor, April 08, 2017, 10:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptor

Sorry, I think I have a simple problem but as I already spent hours on this I have to ask:

I want to read a specific Panasonic Maker value out of my .jpg. With exiftool I get the hex value of it by using the -u option:

Panasonic 0x00af                : 2017:03:13 18:28:46

Now the stupid question:
How do I tell exiftool to specificly access (read or write) this tag? I tried things like

exiftool -0x00af P1100501.JPG
exiftool -panasonic:0x00af P1100501.JPG

etc. to read it
How should it look like??!!!  :-[

Thanks
Marc

Phil Harvey

Hi Marc,

This is FAQ 2.  (just add the -u option)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Raptor

Hi Phil,

hm, I didnt get it. Like this?

exiftool -u -0x00af P1100501.JPG

I know I can use -u to show all. But maybe I should explain a bit more:
I want to modify the date/time stamp which is written under 0x00af by my Lumix FZ300. Because this  time stamp is used to synchronize the tracker data of the Panasonic app with the camera (I think, I have to proof it).
So how does the comand look like to modify the value under 0x00af?
I attached also my sample picture...

Thanks
Marc

StarGeek

Following the command in FAQ 2 and adding -u, you would see that the tag is called Panasonic_0x00af.  Writing to that tag will probably require a user-defined tag definition.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Raptor

StarGeek,

thank you. I've seen that of course before and tried different versions.
But I never tried it in combination with -u. So the correct command is

exiftool -u -Panasonic_0x00af P1100501.JPG

Now I can go on with finding out how to write to it, thanks.

Added:
I tried to write
exiftool -u -Panasonic_0x00af="2017:03:13 20:28:46" P1100501.JPG
and yes, it says
Warning: Tag 'Panasonic_0x00af' does not exist
Nothing to do.

Raptor

Awesom!

Thank you guys, I got it working!

(had to define a user-defined tag, thanks StarGeek!)

Marc

PS: So I found the definition/sense off the Panasonic tag at 0x00af. Where can/should I forward this information?

Phil Harvey

Post it here and I'll add support to ExifTool.  Or you can email me directly (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I have just released ExifTool 10.49 which decodes Panasonic_0x00af as "TimeStamp".

- Phil

Raptor

AWESOME!

Thanks, I was busy and just relized that it's in 10.49 already included ;-) I wanted to do some investigation first.

Out of that, some information in addition to what it's used for (tested with a FZ300):
The camera saves theree the date/time as the GMT/UTC time, calculated of the current settings (home or travel, summertime, time zone).
This time stamp is used by the tracking part of the Lumix app to synchronize the GPS data.
So, if you (like me) have an offset between the track time and this specific time stamp, you have to adjust this time stamp within the meta data of the picture and run the sync process at the camera again. As I could not find any way to get the GPS track recorded by the app.

Have fun,
Marc