How to insert every sidecar metadata created in Photos.app into the natives

Started by Grouaaah, March 14, 2024, 07:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouaaah

Hello Matti,

Thank you very much for your answer, it's perfect: I will do this.

You are right about avoiding putting unnecessary data in tags. I was only talking about this GPSDateTime tag because it was wrong for a large number of files, and already created by GC12
Thank you for your precisions!

---

When trying to do
exiftool -XMP-exif:GPSDateTime -ee .to retrieve all the tags from XMP-Exif and check that no false date is remaining, I encountered the following warning:
Warning: [minor] Invalid VignettingCorr2 data - ./20180803_120419.JPG

Warning: [minor] Invalid LightingOpt data - ./20180803_120419.JPG

Warning: [minor] Invalid AmbienceInfo data - ./20180803_120419.JPG

Warning: [minor] Invalid CustomFunctionsUnknown data - ./20180803_120419.JPG

in some files only.

Before, I was thinking about doing something like
exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile @ -XMP-exif:GPSDateTime "-gpsdatetime<datetimeoriginal" .
to copy the GPS Atomic time from GPS tags to XMP Exif instead of deleting it but when I see that the GPS data is stored at many different places, sometimes in GPS Time/GPS Date, sometimes in one tag... I think I'd rather delete it.

About my report, they would like to test the thing in detail before doing anything. So I will send test files this evening. I have a file where we can clearly see that before using the "merge" option, we have correct latitude and longitude, and after using the option, the newly added "Ref GPS" tag contains something like "North", instead of "South". (as written in the latitude tag above). I will tell them that I only see this on movies, and that this problem doesn't occur after passing the
exiftool -P -overwrite_original -ext xmp -XMP-exif:All= -tagsFromFile @ -XMP-exif:All '-XMP-exif:GPSLongitude<${XMP-exif:GPSLongitude#}${XMP-exif:GPSLongitudeRef#}' '-XMP-exif:GPSLatitude<${XMP-exif:GPSLatitude#}${XMP-exif:GPSLatitudeRef#}' .
command

I keep you posted :)

Thank you

Grouaaah

Hello, here is the latest info I have on the GPS Ref tags inverted by Photos.app (North/South).

"Good morning,

Mr. Lemke made changes, I will transcribe to you what he told me:

Some older software writes GPS data to XMP metadata as follows:

<exif:GPSLongitude>109.43129193446275</exif:GPSLongitude>
        <exif:GPSLongitudeRef>W</exif:GPSLongitudeRef>
        <exif:GPSLatitude>27.150637260452569</exif:GPSLatitude>
        <exif:GPSLatitudeRef>S</exif:GPSLatitudeRef>

But the correct writing is:

<exif:GPSLatitude>27.9.0382S</exif:GPSLatitude>
  <exif:GPSLongitude>109.25.8773W</exif:GPSLongitude>

From build 6502 and later available here: https://www.macvf.fr/produit-graphicconverter#beta
Entries are corrected when using the following function in the software:

<Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 14.28.34.png>

I think the command lines are also because of this, even if he didn't tell me about it explicitly."

I answered "Hello and thank you very much for your response.

I have noted that this should be corrected in the new version, thank you for your feedback

Currently I have done
exiftool -P -overwrite_original -ext xmp -XMP-exif:All= -tagsFromFile @ -XMP-exif:All '-XMP-exif:GPSLongitude<${XMP-exif:GPSLongitude#}${XMP-exif:GPSLongitudeRef#} ' '-XMP-exif:GPSLatitude<${XMP-exif:GPSLatitude#}${XMP-exif:GPSLatitudeRef#}' .
on all of my photos because I use the "Merge into..." function and not "Copy..."

However, the question I have is, will the South/West inversion issue (Ref tags) for videos be supported in the next version as well? By this I mean: even if the Ref tags will disappear to make way for

Will the poles be correctly transferred to the fields in the event of South and North reversal by Photos.app?

Thank you"

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Grouaaah on May 13, 2024, 07:38:07 AMBut the correct writing is:

<exif:GPSLatitude>27.9.0382S</exif:GPSLatitude>.
  <exif:GPSLongitude>109.25.8773W</exif:GPSLongitude>.

No.  This is wrong.  There must be a comma, not a decimal after the degrees.

QuoteHowever, the question I have is, will the South/West inversion issue (Ref tags) for videos be supported in the next version as well? By this I mean: even if the Ref tags will disappear to make way for

Will the poles be correctly transferred to the fields in the event of South and North reversal by Photos.app?

I don't understand the question.  ExifTool will continue to read the incorrect XMP GPS reference direction tags, but it won't write them.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).