Panasonic G9II RW2 - Error: No size tag for IFD0:RawDataOffset

Started by Foto Graf, November 16, 2023, 05:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foto Graf

Hello,

I love ExifTool and mainly use it to write GPS data to all my Panasonic G9 RW2 files. Now I switched to the new Panasonic G9 Mark 2 and get the error "No size tag for IFD0:RawDataOffset". This occurs for any write action and can be tested with a -comment="Test".

Since I cannot attach a sample file due to its size, I uploaded it to DropBox instead: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hz109u25bvohdhoj54bmh/P1001374.RW2?rlkey=g0tm10ffkdlpp9iyu5l7jahu7&dl=1 (it's a totally black image to reduce file size).

I hope this can be resolved and Panasonic didn't change something critical.

Thank you and best regards,
Foto Graf

Phil Harvey

I think this issue is fixed in the current version of ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Using exiftool ver 12.67, I get this
C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -GPSLatitude*=40.6892, -GPSLongitude*=-74.0445 -Comment=Test Y:\!temp\x\y\P1001374.RW2
Warning: [minor] Adding 24268 bytes of padding before fixed-offset image data - Y:/!temp/x/y/P1001374.RW2
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -e -G1 -a -s -GPS* -Comment Y:\!temp\x\y\P1001374.RW2
[GPS]           GPSVersionID                    : 2.3.0.0
[GPS]           GPSLatitudeRef                  : North
[GPS]           GPSLatitude                     : 40 deg 41' 21.12"
[GPS]           GPSLongitudeRef                 : West
[GPS]           GPSLongitude                    : 74 deg 2' 40.20"
[GPS]           GPSVersionID                    : 2.3.0.0
[GPS]           GPSLatitudeRef                  : North
[GPS]           GPSLatitude                     : 40 deg 41' 21.12"
[GPS]           GPSLongitudeRef                 : West
[GPS]           GPSLongitude                    : 74 deg 2' 40.20"
[File]          Comment                         : Test

Hmmm... not sure why exiftool wrote the GPS data twice.  Maybe the non-standard EXIF
C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -warning -validate Y:\!temp\x\y\P1001374.RW2
---- ExifTool ----
Warning                         : [minor] Non-standard EXIF at TIFF-IFD0-JPEG-APP1-IFD0
Warning                         : [minor] Undefined value for MakerNotes:ClearRetouchValue
Validate                        : 2 Warnings (all minor)
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

This is a TIFF-based file format, so ExifTool writes the GPS in IFD0 as per the TIFF specification.

However, RW2 also stores metadata in the embedded JPEG image, so this is one case where ExifTool also writes the GPS to a non-standard location.

The warning you get when writing this file is part of the patch that allows ExifTool to write Panasonic RW2 files which don't specify a size for the raw data, and indicates a limitation of writing to these files (ie. the file may not be written if the padding is exhausted).

- Phil

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Foto Graf

Thank you Phil and sorry!

I thought I had updated to the latest version, but had replaced the executable only in an old location which was still in my PATH variable.

With the current version I get the same warning as StarGeek. Good to know that this is expected.

Cheers!