Looking for Signature Date of a PDF

Started by KYDan, March 04, 2020, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYDan

I was tasked to find the electronic signature date on a pdf.  I have seen examples showing Signing Date, but  I cannot find it with this document.  Is there a certain command I need to run to display that information?  I have used -a -G1.  Below is the utput exif data I have received thus far.  I know it may just not be there, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Thanks in advance

[ExifTool]       ExifTool Version Number         : 11.90
[System]        File Name                       : Rebecca - documents.pdf
[System]        Directory                       : C:/Users/service/OneDrive/Desktop
[System]        File Size                       : 1561 kB
[System]        File Modification Date/Time     : 2020:03:03 13:17:17-05:00
[System]        File Access Date/Time           : 2020:03:04 10:04:24-05:00
[System]        File Creation Date/Time         : 2020:03:03 13:17:00-05:00
[System]        File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
[File]          File Type                       : PDF
[File]          File Type Extension             : pdf
[File]          MIME Type                       : application/pdf
[PDF]           PDF Version                     : 1.4
[PDF]           Linearized                      : No
[PDF]           Modify Date                     : 2020:02:10 08:38:05-06:00
[PDF]           Create Date                     : 2020:02:10 08:38:05-06:00
[PDF]           Producer                        : iText 1.4 (by lowagie.com)
[PDF]           Page Count                      : 23

Phil Harvey

Perhaps ExifTool isn't extracting what you want, but if it exists you may be able to locate it using this command:

exiftool -v3 FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

It may not be a simple metadata item.

I downloaded a pdf from here that has a digital signature and couldn't find anything.  Adobe Reader shows the existance of it.

Doing some further research, it appears to be more complex than simply parsing data.  See Adobe Digital Signatures in a PDF.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

KYDan

Someone suggested that my document may have an Electronic Signature rather than a Digital Signature.  Digital Signatures apparently involve Digital Certificates which create time stamps/meta data and Electronic Signatures do not.  I need to learn more about the difference between the two, but that would explain why there is no information showing up for the date the document was signed.