ExifTool command doesn't work right in GeoSetter

Started by dj_paige, November 12, 2016, 05:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

The only thing I can think of is an interference with the antivirus software which might not be letting geosetter run another application for some reason.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dj_paige

Quote from: dj_paige on November 13, 2016, 07:17:33 AM
We have a winner!

Congratulations to @StarGeek, it was the anti-virus causing the problem. Somehow, my installation of BitDefender had decided that ExifTool was a blocked application in it's anti-ransomware module, and I had to make sure ExifTool was listed as a Trusted Application.

Thanks again!

Just to follow up on this, every time I install a new version of ExifTool via GeoSetter, I have to specifically allow this new version of ExifTool in BitDefender, otherwise ExifTool doesn't work. I haven't yet found a way around this, to automatically allow any version of ExifTool to be allowed by BitDefender.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: dj_paige on January 01, 2017, 11:43:33 AM

Just to follow up on this, every time I install a new version of ExifTool via GeoSetter, I have to specifically allow this new version of ExifTool in BitDefender, otherwise ExifTool doesn't work. I haven't yet found a way around this, to automatically allow any version of ExifTool to be allowed by BitDefender.

Isn't that a good thing?  I don't know how bitdefender works but it is preventing a rogue program from pretending to be something else.

wrtahir

MightBe tools haven't permission to read/write to file for that particular file of the directory. Or the file that tool is trying to create may already exist and you cannot overwrite it.