Extracting one photo from video/MP4

Started by peho, June 30, 2019, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peho

I've searched, but can't find an answer.
Is it possible to create/extract a photo from a video stream with exiftool automated from all mp4's in a directory?
It's from a GoPro Hero 7 and what I know of, there is no preview embedded. I would like to extract a video frame from the video stream and use that photo as a preview for the video and aslo to hold all relevant metadata.

StarGeek

No, exiftool only deals with metadata, not the actual image/video stream data.  You might want to look to FFMpeg as a way to extract an image.  For example see this stackoverflow.

To extract an image from all mp4s in a directory would take some scripting, but there are lots of examples on the StackExchange sites.

Exiftool would be able to copy metadata from the original MP4 to the extracted image, but there might have to be some redirection from one tag to another (see the -TagsFromFile option) as there is often not a direct correlation between the types of video metadata and image metadata.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

peho