Main Menu

ExifTool GUI review

Started by Phil Harvey, September 23, 2011, 10:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I just came across this review of ExifTool GUI:

Software Informer review of ExifTool GUI

Although they have fallen quite far behind the current version.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Yes, I noticed such "automated" GUI reviews, which are, IMO, mostly auto-copied from "somewhere" and never updated.
The problem is, my old homepage is still up (but I have no access). At that time, I just wished to inform users, that I'm after some solution and I expected, pages will be available only for few days.
But I noticed, that Google is learning  :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Right.  They are stuck on your old home page.  I hadn't noticed.

You may be right that they just copied the review from somewhere, but I googled for some of the text near the end of the review and it didn't match anything else on the internet, so my guess is that these guys really did run your software and write the review.  Good review too: 5 stars! :)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Quote from: Phil Harvey on September 23, 2011, 11:37:23 AM
... so my guess is that these guys really did run your software and write the review.  Good review too: 5 stars! :)
If they would only update version info and link. I mean, there's nothing wrong with five stars  8)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

There.  I added a comment to their review giving your new home page.

- Phil

BogdanH

Wow, thank you Phil -and I mean it.
I'm somehow embarrassed, not thinking that's something I should do. I owe you one.. so, when I drop by in Canada...  ;)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

You're welcome. :)

I just also noticed they have a "Suggest a correction" link, so I sent them the updated the home page there too.

- Phil

BogdanH

I just checked the link in your first post above and nothing changed there. But that's not the reason I'm writting this.
There's also a link for "Download ExifToolGUI", which points to their site. So I downloaded it and got "exiftoolgui_setup.exe" file!
Now.. GUI was never needed to be "installed". So I've checked above file with Hex viewer, and there are some very suspicious strings inside. My conlusion: during (or after) installing, this file will try to install at least some "toolbars" (if nothing worse).
I will write a notice about this in GUI download page here.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

That is bad.  They are not allowed to distribute a modified version of any software without getting permission first.  Makes me think maybe they put some spyware in there.

- Phil

BogdanH

I suspect (from other content there), that this is just 'software informers' download utility. That is, one first installs that "downloader" (with whatever in it) and then when running it, it probably links to my old homepage.
The problem I see is, one gets impression actually downloading and installing GUI software -I don't like such policy at all.

Btw. The only site, that officially asked me for permission to distribute ExifToolGUI, is www.heise.de -there, one can download clean zip file of latest GUI version (after moving, I've pointed them here, to ExifTool forum).

It's not that I care about being asked... but I put a great value on keeping GUI clean.

Bogdan