Image stabilization possible conflict in EXIF

Started by ken610, December 06, 2011, 04:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken610

Brand new member here, with a setup and a question:
I am using a Panasonic m43 100-300 lens on an Olympus E-P3 body.  The lens has its own OIS (optical image stabilization), which has a switch to turn it on and off.  The body can have its IBIS (in-body image stabilization) set via the menu or a mapped button.  I know that I do not want both on at the same tine, as they fight.  I have tried to do some comparisons using one or the other, and was counting on the EXIF to show for each image, which method was in use.  I am using the GUI with v 8.7.1.  That correctly detects both the body and the lens, with their correct serial numbers, but there appears to be only one field for Image Stabilization, and I can not tell whether that field refers to the OIS or the IBIS.  On one photo where I am quite sure that I was using the Panny lens with OIS On and IBIS Off, that field shows off, so I infer that it refers to the body setting.  That field is also located with many other body settings.  Is there a way to also show the status of the OIS on the lens?
Thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

Hi Ken,

If you can take 4 identical photos with the different stabilization settings, I will analyze them to see if/where this information is stored.  One with both IBIS and OIS off, one with only IBIS on, one with only OIS on, and the last with both IBIS and OIS on.  Then email the pictures (with description) to philharvey66 at gmail.com.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ken610

Thanks for that offer, Phil.  I'm traveling now, but I can set up a controlled test weekend after next, and get the photos with descriptions to you soon after that.  I have a reminder on my calendar for that, now.  In such a test, I would typically put signs in the field of view with all of the data I am trying to explore.

Nice program and GUI.  It did not take long for me to get it all set up and working, and certainly gives more info than others I have tried, even on my ancient and lowly Lenovo S10 Netbook.

Cheers,

Ken

dgsjsj

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 06, 2011, 06:33:26 PM
Hi Ken,

If you can take 4 identical photos with the different stabilization settings, I will analyze them to see if/where this information is stored.  One with both IBIS and OIS off, one with only IBIS on, one with only OIS on, and the last with both IBIS and OIS on.  Then email the pictures (with description) to philharvey66 at gmail.com.

- Phil
ken610, Hi
You can dial the four versions of the text describing the configuration of stabilizers and take photographs of the display Lenovo S10 Netbook
In this case, do not need to explain to the pictures. ;)

ken610

I sent test photos for each of the four cases to Phil a couple of days ago.

Phil Harvey

Hi Ken,

Hmmm.  I haven't received them.  I just checked my junk mail too.

Somehow the mails seem to have got lost. :(

Could you try resending them?  Use the subject "Image stabilization samples" so I have something to search for.

Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ken610

Phil, I just sent a re-send of these from two days ago.  Please let me know if you do not see these shortly.  BTW, these are OTC JPGs, but just resized and re-saved.  The EXIF data appears to be intact.

Thanks,

Ken

Phil Harvey

Hi Ken,

Thanks, I got them this time.  (Still not sure where they went the first time though.)

I can definitely see that the IBIS is reported in the ImageStabilization value, and also affects some other as yet unknown metadata values.

But unfortunately I can see nothing obvious that correlates with the OIS setting.  Is it possible that the camera doesn't even know if the lens has OIS enabled?

- Phil

ken610

Hi Phil,

Yes, I agree that the EXIF is likely reporting the body IBIS status in that field.  I also agree that the body may not know that the lens even has OIS.  That seems a little incomplete to me, because it has detected the Panasonic lens correctly, with its serial number and other settings.  I am pretty sure that there is only one m43 version of this lens, so I would expect the Olympus body to be able to "understand" all of the features of that lens.  I do know that a few Panny m43 lenses do not have OIS, but most do.

I do not know how EXIF is generated in the body, but I guess that it the Oly body EXIF writer does not know about Panny OIS, then it does not create a field for that info.

Regardless of that, I am very happy with both the E-P3 body and that lens.

Thanks,

Ken