Moving video files doesnt work

Started by nchhajed, April 19, 2016, 02:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchhajed

Hello,

I've been simply astonished how easily the photos can be sorted using this tool. The pictures (jpegs etc.)  move easily but for some reason I cannot move the video files taken from iPhone and Androids.

What I do:
1. Copy all the pictures and videos to one folder - say C:/Test
2. Use CMD (DOS) to navigate to the folder.
3. User following command - exiftool -d %Y-%m-%d "-directory<datetimeoriginal" C:\Test\

Output:
1. All the pictures (whether taken from Android or iPhone) get sorted into folders created by date stamp. No problem here.
2. All videos error out with following message - "Warning: No writable tags set from C:/Test/test01.mov"

What am I missing? Is the error while taking the videos or reading the tags?

StarGeek

I was about to point to FAQ 16 when I noticed that MOV files are on the writable list (I thought they weren't).  So the next step would be to make sure that they actually have the tag you're trying to use.  Try using exiftool -DateTimeOriginal C:/Test/test01.mov to see if the file has the DateTimeOriginal tag.

If the command doesn't return any data, then you might have to look for a different tag to use with the MOV files.  Try exiftool -time:all -a -G1 -s C:/Test/test01.mov to see what other tags might be available.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

In general, I think that CreateDate is the one that should be used for MOV videos.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

nchhajed

Thank you Phil and StarGeek. I'll try it out and let know. Apologies for delay in response.