xmp:datetimeoriginal

Started by Jado, August 25, 2023, 02:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jado

I have searched the forum but cannot any discussion on the issue I have encountered.

I have just installed version of the Windows executable (version 12.65, having previously been using version 12.54) and I am now having problems with ExifToolGUI and my own workflow program.  The problem boils down to the following:

Command (by way of an example):

exiftool -T -filename -EXIF:DateTimeOriginal -ImageDescription -XMP:DateTimeOriginal -Country jdr23821.jpg

Output:

jdr23821.jpg    2023:08:17 12:28:53    Moel Siabod    Wales
The order of the tags and the number of tags is not significant.  If both EXIF:DateTimeOriginal and XMP:DateTimeOriginal are specified anywhere in the list then XMP:DateTimeOriginal is not output.

This understandably causes a "List out of bounds" error in ExifToolGUI since the wrong number of values are returned if both EXIF:DateTimeOriginal and XMP:DateTimeOriginal are in the workspace list.

Have I missed something in the releases between 12.54 (which works) and 12.65 (which seems not to), or is this a a genuine bug in 12.65 (and perhaps other earlier versions)?

StarGeek

This is a known bug in 12.65.  See this thread.  It will be fixed in 12.66, but Phil is away so it won't be coming out for a few weeks.

I suggest rolling back to 12.64
https://exiftool.org/exiftool-12.64.zip
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Jado

Thanks.  I didn't manage to find that bug report, sorry.

Jado

Installed version 12.64 and -

exiftool -T -filename -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -XMP:City -ext jpg .

check1.jpg      53 deg 20' 21.12" N    1 deg 48' 34.98" W      -
check2.jpg      53 deg 20' 32.84" N    1 deg 46' 31.04" W      -
check3.jpg      53 deg 20' 32.24" N    1 deg 46' 31.53" W      Castleton

exiftool -T -filename -if "\$GPSLatitude" -if "\$GPSLongitude" -ext jpg .

check1.jpg
check2.jpg
check3.jpg

exiftool -T -filename -if "\$GPSLatitude" -if "\$GPSLongitude" -if "not \$XMP:City" -ext jpg .

Nothing listed, even though check1.jpg and check2.jpg satisfy the criteria.

I'll revert to version 12.54 for now which has worked reliably for me.  Hopefully this issue will be fixed in 12.66, along with the XMP issues in 12.65.

StarGeek

Not a bug, though the effects of adding the Perl \ reference operator will have unexpected results.

From the docs on the -T (-table) option
QuoteOutput tag values in table form. Equivalent to -t -S -q -f.

The -f (-ForcePrint) option is the important one here
QuoteForce printing of tags even if they don't exist

So the XMP:City will be have a value of - in files where it doesn't exist.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).