xmp format for jpegs that have never been adjusted not compatible with Lr4.1?

Started by areohbee, July 03, 2012, 07:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areohbee

I've been using exiftool for updating crop tags in xmp - thank you Phil. It works great for raw sidecars, DNG up to v1.3, and jpegs *if* they've already got adjustments, but if a jpeg has never had any adjustments, the updated/re-written xmp (which seems OK to me) is not OK to Lightroom 4.1: reading metadata causes all settings to be reset.

ref: XmpCrop

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/XmpCropLrPlugin/

PS - exiftool in "stay-open" mode has made my exiftool based Lr plugins significantly more efficient - gotta love it...

Phil Harvey

It sounds like some crucial metadata is missing if you create the adjustments yourself with ExifTool.  Try doing "exiftool -a -u -G1 FILE" and compare a file done with ExifTool to the same one edited with LR.  You should be able to figure out what the difference is.

I'm glad to hear you're taking advantage of the stay-open feature. :)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

areohbee

Thanks Phil,

I tried the command you suggested, but still wasn't able to find the magic bullet. My work-around is to make a mock adjustment, then save/update the xmp, then re-read.

Dunno if anybody more savvy than m'self could see what I've missed...

PS - The problem is not unique to Lr4 (same problem in Lr5 too...).

R