How to create track.log for geotaging?

Started by n006t, September 15, 2021, 03:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n006t

I have a video for which i want to create  a track.log so that i can geotag images created from them.

In documentation it is shown that below code can help create geotag :

exiftool -geotag "c:\gps logs\track.log" c:\images

but does not explain "How to create the track.log file?"

Can anyone please tell how can i create it?

StarGeek

See the Inverse Geotagging section of the geotagging documentation.

Download a format file from GitHub, either the gpx.fmt (preferred) or the kml.fmt (more commonlyl used with google maps).  Then you run the command listed in format file, adjusting the path to the format file as needed.

Exiftool will then create a gps track from the video file as long as there is GPS data in the file and it is one of the 55 track formats it understands (there's unfortunately no standard for GPS tracks in video files).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

Additional notes based upon your StackOverflow question.

When you end up with a file that lists only gpx.fmt over and over, that means you haven't downloaded the gpx.fmt from GitHub and/or you have provided the full path to the file.  If the gpx.fmt is not in the current directory that you're running the command from, you need to provide the full path.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).