Change Date Created on Sony mp4 files

Started by kereru, April 04, 2024, 06:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kereru

Newbie here. I shot a wedding on two Sony A7SII cameras and have realised that one of my cameras' clocks was 5 minutes slow. I've tried running the command exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal+=0:0:0 0:5:0″ in Terminal. It reads the files but is not changing Date Created in Finder.

Is there another command I should be running? I'm on a Mac. TIA :)

StarGeek

This is FAQ #3.  Run the command in that FAQ #3 and see if you can find a tag name with the exact date/time you're looking for and try that.

There are good odds that the tag you are looking for will be the file system FileModifyDate

If that doesn't work, then the tag you're looking for is probably one of the Mac specific file system tags (see the MacOS tags page).  Run the commmand again but add the -API RequestAll=2 option.  You'll have to refer back to the MacOS page to see if exiftool can write the tag you find or if you'll have to find another utility.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

kereru

Thanks StarGeek. My limited understanding so far is that it's reading the files but not able to modify them. I have tried FileModifyDate and using the MacOS tag MDItemFSCreationDate with no success, I just get the same result of files being read but not written. I tried adding RequestAll=2 too, still no change to Date Created data.

I've also tried a couple of apps from the Mac App Store. No luck there either.

kereru

Should I be running the command like this? exiftool "-FileModifyDate+=0:0:0 0:5:0″ to shift it by 5 mins?

kereru

Thanks for your help StarGeek. I managed to resolve the issue by comparing the time jumps between cameras in Finder. It's good to have found out about ExifTool in case I am able to use it in future though.  :)

wywh

To shift movie metadata dates +0 years, 0 months 0 days 1 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds can be done in exiftool with the following command:

exiftool -m -overwrite_original -api LargeFileSupport=1 -api QuickTimeUTC=1 '-QuickTime:Time:All+=0:0:0 01:02:03' '-FileCreateDate+=0:0:0 01:02:03' '-FileModifyDate+=0:0:0 01:02:03' movie.mp4
To shift movie and image metadata dates, choose GraphicConverter > File > Browse... > [select folder] > [select files] > Camera menu > Modify Exif Date > Shift the Exif Date... > [select desired time shift], Additional options > Set the file creation/modification date, (optional: Set Exif date/time modified, Set Exif date/time digitized etc), Set movie tags (MOV, MP4, M4V and MTS only), Use UTC.

See also:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002750

- Matti

StarGeek

Exiftool will default to shifting time only on tags that include a date and time.  So you can drop the 0 year/month/day
'-QuickTime:Time:All+=01:02:03'

From the ExifTool Date/Time Shift Module page
QuoteA valid shift value consists of one or two arguments, separated by a space. If only one is provided, it is assumed to be a time shift when applied to a time-only or a date/time value, or a date shift when applied to a date-only value.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

wywh

Quote from: StarGeek on April 05, 2024, 09:35:00 AMExiftool will default to shifting time only on tags that include a date and time.  So you can drop the 0 year/month/day

Yes, I have noticed that. I tend to grab longer boilerplate commands from a memo so I don't have to remember the syntax for that.  :)

- Matti