Main Menu

Hang on startup

Started by hubertd, April 23, 2024, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubertd

Hi

I have installed ExifToolGui, V6.3.1.0 today and seem to be unable to run it.

First instance started permanently consumes 28% CPU and 14.4 MB of Memory. Only the second instance started then shows a UI and behaves normally in task manager (0% CPU if idle and 15 MB memory).

When clicking any drive or directory in the GUI then brings the second instance to 28% CPU and 20 MB of Memory and no further reaction (app hangs, hourglass on forever [hours]). First instance remains at 26% CPU and memory drops to 5.4 MB. When the second instance loads, menu - help for instance - works ok. Only the drive/directory seems to block things.

Then I have uninstalled the previous version and reinstalled from https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/releases/ (used the installer version). Version remains V6.3.1.0

Observed behavior remains the same. Also found a disconnected network drive along the way. Disconnecting this did not change anything.

Would be great to get some hints on how to get things running. Need to prep a good number of photos before friday and looking for a smoother way than Excel and commandline.

Thx in advance
Hubert

-----------------

Win 10 Pro German.
V22H2 Build 19045.4353

FrankB

Hi Hubert,

Some questions to start with.

- Have you ever succesfully run ExifToolGui? (previous versions like 516 by Bogdan)
- Does it happen on every folder? What file types are there on your startup folder?

You can start by removing the INI file, that rules out possible corrupt settings. The Ini file is located in: %APPDATA%\ExifToolGui\ExifToolGuiV6.ini.

Still no luck?
Try running ExifTool from the cmd Prompt. See what happens. There are reports that virusscanners can block ExifTool.exe

ExifTool -verShould tell you the version.

If that does not work, remove exiftool.exe and try the installer from Oliver Betz. (The GUI installer gives you the option)

Still no luck?
Then I would like to know what files are read. Start the task manager, open the resource monitor and select the tab disk
 taskman.jpg

Frank

hubertd

Hi Frank

I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Think I have found the cause: there was an old (very old) exiftool in the windows folder. This is the most likely cause, because I have done other cleanup (like path setting, Temp folder). Eventually a dull search via commandline revealed the lonesome old exiftool. Remember had used it to clear comments from thumb nail pictures generated by Frontpage. In those times ages ago.

Thank you
Hubert

FrankB

Good you got it working. Thanks for your feedback.

Frank