Get all validation warnings in json?

Started by jrochkind, September 12, 2023, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrochkind

exiftool 12.60.

I have a particular corrupt/bad TIFF file.

If I run:

exiftool -all:all -validate my_bad.tiff

It includes this output at the end:

Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0100 ImageWidth
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0101 ImageHeight
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0106 PhotometricInterpretation
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0111 StripOffsets
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0116 RowsPerStrip
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0117 StripByteCounts
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x011a XResolution
    Warning                         : Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x011b YResolution
    Validate                        : 8 Warnings
    Validate                        : 8 Warnings

However, if I ask for `-json` output, it only includes the FIRST warning. It ignores the others. The `-a` or `-duplicates` flag doesn't seem to make a difference

exiftool -a -all:all -validate -json my_bad.tiff

"Warning": "Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0100 ImageWidth",
      "Validate": "8 Warnings"
    }]

Is there anything I can do to get the complete list of 8 Warnings in json output?

Is this a bug/missing feature?

StarGeek

From the docs on the -j (-json) option
QuoteThe -a option is implied when -json is used, but entries with identical JSON names are suppressed in the output. (-G4 may be used to ensure that all tags have unique JSON names.)
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

jrochkind

Quote from: StarGeek on September 13, 2023, 10:46:23 AMFrom the docs on the -j (-json) option
QuoteThe -a option is implied when -json is used, but entries with identical JSON names are suppressed in the output. (-G4 may be used to ensure that all tags have unique JSON names.)

Hey thanks!  -G4 alone doesn't do what I want, as I also wanted -G group prefixes, which I guess is an implied -G0.

After spending more time with the docs to try to figure these options out, `-G0:4` gets close.

Now for my warnings, I get, eg:

"ExifTool:Warning": "Bad IFD0 directory",
  "ExifTool:Copy1:Warning": "Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0100 ImageWidth",
  "ExifTool:Copy2:Warning": "Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0101 ImageHeight",
  "ExifTool:Copy3:Warning": "Missing required TIFF IFD0 tag 0x0106 PhotometricInterpretation",

So I *am* getting them all... although this is not a very convenient way to get them in JSON for machine-readability, my software needs to look for keys with a certain pattern involving :CopyN to extract all warnings, instead of just looking up a known key like ExifTool:Warning1.

Meanwhile, while most of my other tags remain the same (eg say EXIF:ImageWidth), *some* of them get a Copy1 added for no apparent reason. For instance, XMP:Copy1:Make, even though there is no base XMP:Make tag, or other XMP:CopyN:Make.

Why for some tags does it insert `Copy1` but for others it does not?

If the goal of JSON output is machine processing, this is all actually pretty inconvenient for such processing, I need a lot of unexpected logic to find the values instead of just a simple key lookup.

I kind of wish there was a way to get multiple values with the same tag name as just a JSON *array*.

I wonder if this feature request has been made before, or if it is feasible and there might be other interest? Is there a good place to make this feature request?  [/code]

StarGeek

Anything else will have to wait until Phil gets back from vacation, which may be this week or next week.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: jrochkind on September 13, 2023, 03:15:35 PM*some* of them get a Copy1 added for no apparent reason. For instance, XMP:Copy1:Make, even though there is no base XMP:Make tag, or other XMP:CopyN:Make.

There must be some other Make tag.  (It doesn't have to be just XMP for it to be a copy.)

QuoteIf the goal of JSON output is machine processing, this is all actually pretty inconvenient for such processing, I need a lot of unexpected logic to find the values instead of just a simple key lookup.

This doesn't seem difficult to me.  Just s/:Copy\d+$// to remove the copy number before you do the lookup.

QuoteI kind of wish there was a way to get multiple values with the same tag name as just a JSON *array*.

How would you distinguish between this case and a single tag with multiple values (ie. a list of keywords)?  There is a difference.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).