ExifTool GUI - ver. 4 vs. ver. 3

Started by tomczak, February 26, 2011, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenix

Hi Bogdan,

Quote from: BogdanH on July 02, 2011, 02:58:30 PM
Reason to abandon this option was a fact, that most image editors/tools don't preserve DateModified anyway. Atually that's why this info exist in first place: to be updated when file modification occur.

Yes true, but I appreciate every tool that let me the choice if I want it to update the file modification date or not.
I like my computer to be a tool that I use in a way that serve me like I want/need it and not to be a slave of my computer.  ;)

To have the file modification date updated is very useful and greeted if a file is modified in the background by some program or system function but if I do an intentional modification to a file myself I'd like to have the control if the date of this file should also be modified.

Especially by my photos a glimpse at the file date should tell me when it was shot.
I'm also used to search often for specific pictures by the time range they had to be shot and that only works if the file modificatin date is the original one.

And if I do some minor EXIF changes like adding a comment, my name, a copyright notice, or something it would be really time saving if it wouldn't be always necessary to check and correct the file modification date too.

So really, what could be said against an optional "preserve DateModified of files" option?
You can set it to off by default but let your users the choice to use it, if they want. It is a feature!

I used it in the old ExifTool GUI version and after I switched to the v4.14 I was caught napping by wrong dates at some of my photos that I didn't expected. So I had to check several folders to search for wrong dated files and set them back to their original value.  >:(

So please, I beg you, re implement that option again!
Just because other tools lack of this feature yours don't have to as well, right?

Quote from: BogdanH on July 02, 2011, 02:58:30 PM
However, if helps, menu option Various>File:DateModified=Exif:DateTime... is still available.

Yeah, of course I know about this function and in fact it's probaly my most used file modification feature from the ExifTool GUI.   ;)
But thank you anyway.

Quote from: coz on July 04, 2011, 01:59:35 PM
Bogdan,

The preserve date modified is useful and some programs, such as Lightroom, do not modify the original files.

It is especially useful to add metadata to RAW files (before importing them into Lightroom) without subsequently having to run File Modified=Date Created.  It saves a lot of time.

Thanks,
Chris

Thank you Chris for your assistance!  8)
And you're absolutely right.

Kind regards,
Tom

BogdanH

Hi Tom,

I probably didn't realize how important this might be for some users... anyway, this option will be back in next update.

Greetings,
Bogdan

Phoenix

Quote from: BogdanH on July 21, 2011, 11:56:24 AM
Hi Tom,

I probably didn't realize how important this might be for some users... anyway, this option will be back in next update.

Greetings,
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

thank you, great to hear!  :)

Kind regards,
Tom

coz

Bogdan,

Thanks for the latest update with Preserve File Date!

Chris

BogdanH