Post your LensType / LensID discoveries here

Started by Phil Harvey, January 08, 2012, 08:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Thanks Jos.  These will appear in ExifTool 10.19

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Beholder3

"Unknown (4 10)" on Pentax K represents the Irix 15mm F2.4 lens (tested a Blackstone version).

The new Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 on Canon EF registers with the ID of a Canon ef 100-400mm II lens.

The Irix 11mm F4 prototype on Canon registers as a "Canon 11mm".

Phil Harvey

Thanks!  I'll add these when I have a chance and post back here if I have any questions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

For the Irix 11mm, what is the LensType number (ie. "exiftool -lenstype#")?

- Phil

Beholder3

Quote from: Phil Harvey on September 26, 2016, 07:36:14 AM
For the Irix 11mm, what is the LensType number (ie. "exiftool -lenstype#")?

- Phil

Sorry for the very late answer. It is "Unknown (60)"

Phil Harvey

Paul Barrett

How about this:

Lens Make                        Apple
Lens Model                       Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple iPhone 6 back camera 4.15mm f/2.2

WTF?

Paul

Phil Harvey

This is likely the EXIF:LensModel value, which is a string.  I don't know why some software would write this.  I don't think it is like this straight out of the iPhone.

- Phil

fromcologne

Sony A7 R2 (ILCE-7RM2) + Samyang AF 14mm (this is the new autofocus version)

EXIF:Make = SONY
EXIF:Model = ILCE-7RM2
EXIF:Lens Model = SAMYANG AF 14mm F2.8
SONY:LensType   = 65535
SONY:LensType2 = 51505*

* on the exiftool website there is the value 32790.1. This seems a fault.

This is the lens: www.samyanglensglobal.com/product/detail.do?SQ=36

On different markets this lens is sold unter ROKINON brand.
Their model code is IO14AF-E.

Phil Harvey

Thank for this!  I'll look into this and post back if I have any questions.

- Phil

KolinP (aka ColinIM)

Hello Phil,

I recently bought the latest (2016) version of Nikon's (Nikkor) 70-200mm zoom lens and I don't see the new lens's metadata so far in this thread, so I'll offer it to you here.

I'm guessing that you might already have obtained this new lens's metadata from some other source, in which case please disregard this post from me, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if possible about the fact that this new len's LensType value is the same as the value extracted from my previous "VR1" / 2002 version of the lens! (See below.)

Nikon's formal name for this latest, 2016 version of the 70-200mm Zoom Nikkor is -
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR       (my emphasis)

I've seen it referred to informally as "the f/2.8E version", or "the 'FL' version".

But one key point about its name is that, although this new lens is strictly a 'G' lens because it does not have a manually-adjustable aperture ring, Nikon does not use 'G' anywhere in their human-readable descriptions of this 2016 lens.

(For future browsers of this thread ...) My limited research tells me that this new lens was "announced by Nikon in October 2016" but was shipping to at least some parts of the world from November 2016.  I bought mine in UK in early February 2017.

My camera body is a D700, and this new lens's two metadata values - extracted from a recent NEF file - are as follows:

exiftool -lenstype -m  _C7P7951.NEF
returns ...
Lens Type                       : G VR

exiftool -lenstype# -m _C7P7951.NEF
returns ...
Lens Type                       : 14

exiftool -lensID -m  _C7P7951.NEF
returns ...
Lens ID                         : AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR

exiftool -lensID# -m _C7P7951.NEF
returns ...
Lens ID                         : A4 48 5C 80 24 24 CF 0E

and ... to add a bit more info ...

From this latest lens, the command
exiftool -lens* -m  _C7P7951.NEF
returns ...
Lens                            : 70-200mm f/2.8
Lens Data Version               : 0203
Lens ID Number                  : 164
Lens F Stops                    : 6.00
Lens ID                         : AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
Lens Spec                       : 70-200mm f/2.8 G VR

(I figure that the last two tags are composite tags because they're omitted if I include the '-e' switch in that command.)

I never owned the "VR2" / 2009 version of this lens.

For comparison with the above, and to illustrate the LensType 'ambiguity' that I mentioned earlier, here are the same tags extracted from my older "VR1" / 2002 version of this lens.  They're from an earlier NEF file of course, taken on the same D700 body.

You will already know Nikon's formal name for the old "VR1" / 2002 lens as -
70-200mm f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

exiftool -lenstype -m  _C7P7917.NEF
returns ...

exiftool -lenstype# -m _C7P7917.NEF
returns ...
Lens Type                       : 14

exiftool -lensID -m  _C7P7917.NEF
returns ...
Lens ID                         : AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

exiftool -lensID# -m _C7P7917.NEF
returns ...
Lens ID                         : 77 48 5C 80 24 24 7B 0E

and again to add a bit more info ...

On that older lens, the command
exiftool -lens* -m  _C7P7917.NEF
returns:
Lens                            : 70-200mm f/2.8
Lens Data Version               : 0203
Lens ID Number                  : 119
Lens F Stops                    : 6.00
Lens ID                         : AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED
Lens Spec                       : 70-200mm f/2.8 G VR

TL;DR

I'm surprised that Nikon have programmed both of these lenses with the same LensType value, therefore relying on you (ExifTool) or other software writers to probe deeper into the metadata to distinguish between them!  I could see that Nikon probably had to make both lenses report themselves as "G VR" lenses, because that's strictly what they are, but - with so much of the design of this 2016 lens that is completely new and different (for example, the fact that the mechanical aperture lever is now absent from the new lens) surely (IMO) it would have been forgivable if Nikon had changed the LensType to return "VR E" instead of the same old "VR G" ??  ::)

For example, my current version of DxO Optics Pro Elite (version v11.3.1.11813) is (in the short term) totally confused and cannot tell which lens is which. It thinks my newer NEF files were taken with my old VR1 lens, so I must 'undo' DxO's automatic 'wrong lens' adjustments and make my own manual corrections. (Sorry this is off-topic from ExifTool ...) Of course this DxO confusion will be 'fixed' when DxO Labs has built and released a DxO 'module' for the newer lens. But - I think - if Nikon had installed a different LensType value into this newer lens then even DxO Optics Pro could have spotted that these NEF files were from different lenses.

My trusty IMatch database program (at IMatch version 5.8.4) is able to distinguish between the old VR1 lens and this newest version OK as I browse through my files, which is logical I suppose because IMatch makes good use of ExifTool to extract metadata from our files!

Sorry Phil if this is too much data, and it's perhaps redundant anyway!

Thank you for giving us this wonderous ExifTool utility. We'd all be in a very strange place without it!!

Colin
Someday we won't need to sleep ...

Phil Harvey

Hi Colin,

I'll read your post in detail when I get a chance, but in the meantime I have brought it to the attention of Robert Rottmerhusen (who knows a lot more about Nikon lenses than I do), because he could have something to contribute to this discussion.

- Phil

KolinP (aka ColinIM)

Thank you Phil,

I should have included that I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit PC, running ExiFtool version 10.41.

(I'm not yet able to 'modify' my posts.)

Colin

Phil Harvey

Hi Colin,

I've read through your post and other than Nikon storing the same "LensType" information for both these lenses I don't see the problem.  ExifTool can distinguish these lenses by other criteria (most notably, LensIDNumber).  In fact, ExifTool doesn't use LensType at all in distinguishing Nikon lenses.  I don't know why DxO has problems distinguishing these lenses.

- Phil

KolinP (aka ColinIM)

Hi Phil,

Thankyou for confirming this. 

(I just wanted to be sure that - because this lens is relatively new - there were no 'updates pending' between yourself and Nikon regarding this lens's metadata.)

On DxO Optics Pro (and dwelling off-topic for a moment) ... Yes, this ball is certainly in their camp and not yours.  I've registered my vote on the DxO website for them to develop a DxO module for this lens, but the lens is clearly a long way down their list of priorities because it hasn't even got a 'planned date' for inclusion - yet.  Probably because it's so darned expensive!

Colin