Difficulty writing DarwinCore tags

Started by ricklevy21, November 15, 2017, 03:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricklevy21

I am having trouble getting exiftool to recognize tags from the darwin core. I see that the Perl Module file for the darwinCore is in the lib. I also downloaded the darwincore config file and added it to the directory, but to no avail. Am I missing something here?

Here is the path to the config file C:\ExifTool\.ExifTool_config.config

exiftool.pl and lib (along with everything else from the tar download) is in the same C:\ExifTool directory

Here is what I get when I try to write a darwincore tag:

C:\ExifTool>exiftool.pl -scientificName=TEST Q:\rick_test
Warning: Tag 'scientificName' is not defined
Nothing to do.

Thanks for any advice,

Rick

StarGeek

In this example, the tag you want is TaxonScientificName as ScientificName is part of the Taxon Struct Tag

Take a look at the Darwin Core Tag page to see what the flattened tag names are if you're not writing a full structure. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ricklevy21

Fantastic, thank you! So basically the struct name must be included. I work in a natural history collection within a botanic garden and this is going to be incredibly useful when linking specimen data to the images we take in the field.

StarGeek

Quote from: ricklevy21 on November 15, 2017, 04:30:50 PM
So basically the struct name must be included.

Not necessarily.  Phil has attempted to make the tag names more readable for people.   So for some of the structure parts, rather than have TaxonTaxonConceptID, it's simply TaxonConceptID.  The link above has the details.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).