Use of uninitialized value $tmpFile

Started by Alan Clifford, January 02, 2013, 05:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

Hi Phil

Use of uninitialized value $tmpFile in utime at /usr/local/bin/exiftool line 2804.
Error setting file time - ahc_4829_cr2_800.jpg
    1 image files updated
Use of uninitialized value $tmpFile in utime at /usr/local/bin/exiftool line 2804.

exiftool version 9.10.  This is on a new macbook pro

I copied my scripts and photo to my old macbook with snowleopard, exiftool version 8.58 and didn't get the error.

I haven't identified which line in my script is doing this - I'll get back to you with the exact command line.  I may be missing something on the new computer.

Alan

Alan Clifford

I don't get an error without an argfile so this is probably the command line.  Investigating further.

# process the argfile
  if [ "${ARGFILE}" ]; then
    echo "exiftool argfile is: ${ARGFILE}" >&2
    exiftool -m -P -@ "${ARGFILE}" "${xmpphoto}" >&2
  fi

Alan Clifford

alan@egremont:scripts-test$ exiftool -m -P -@ keywordsbathsheba.args ahc_4829_cr2_800.jpg
    1 image files updated

The argfile is attached.

Not sure what to look for next.

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

Thanks for pointing this out.  (Too bad you just missed the 9.11 release though. :( )

I'll release an update tonight, and version 9.12 should fix this.  The problem was introduced in version 9.10 and occurs when -P is combined with some arguments (including -overwrite_original_in_place).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford