Some small bugs

Started by sfmurph, October 17, 2012, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmurph

I'm trying to use exiftool to creatively munge some of the EXIF data in my photos from adapted MF lenses. It's a really powerful tool, but I've found a handful of oddities, mostly with the exiftool command line.

- `exiftool -Aperture=1 file.jpg` rejects the Aperture setting. Running this as `-exiftool -FNumber=1 file.jpg` seems to do what I'm expecting. It seems that "aperture" is missing from @tableList in TagLookup.pm.
- For %canonLensTypes in Canon.pm, I have an M42 to EOS adapter with an Optix chip (http://www.optixpcb.com/). This chip reports itself as ID 27. There's a comment in the code that suspects an adapter. It may be worth reporting 27 as 'Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 or Optix adapter' or something. (The other main adapter chip is the Dandelion, but it's hard to find info that's not in Russian.) It might also make sense to have a 27.1 for this, but I'm not sure how you define the ".1" entries. Maybe it would be if the aperture was returned as larger than the f/4 max of this lens?
- For PrintLensID there's a comment that "Canon cameras only understand Canon lenses" which isn't strictly true. Adapter chips and 3rd party lenses are the exceptions. There was a long post on lensrentals.com where the tester believed that the "Canon" part of this value was part of the EXIF data, when it's really an assumption of exiftool. (Here's the post:  http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/canon-illumination-correction-and-third-party-lenses)

Anyway, some small things I found when using this powerful tool. Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: sfmurph on October 17, 2012, 05:12:05 PM
- `exiftool -Aperture=1 file.jpg` rejects the Aperture setting. Running this as `-exiftool -FNumber=1 file.jpg` seems to do what I'm expecting.

This is a variant of FAQ number 3.  Aperture is a non-writable Composite tag.  You want to write either FNumber or ApertureValue.

Quote- For %canonLensTypes in Canon.pm, I have an M42 to EOS adapter with an Optix chip (http://www.optixpcb.com/). This chip reports itself as ID 27.

Could you email me a sample? My mail is philharvey66 at gmail.com.  Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

sfmurph

Well, that's embarrassing about the FAQ. I looked at that, and I see what you mean. I guess I want to use EXIF:All to see the EXIF tags. I'll experiment some more.

I sent you some photos with the EXIF stuff from these three adapters.

For #3, do you think it makes sense to drop the "Canon" string for LensType IDs that aren't positive integers?

Thanks again for a great tool!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: sfmurph on October 25, 2012, 01:35:09 AM
For #3, do you think it makes sense to drop the "Canon" string for LensType IDs that aren't positive integers?

I don't think I understand.  All LensType values are positive integers.  The decimal values don't exist in the metadata -- they were added to allow different lenses with the same LensType to be referenced in the ExifTool lookup table.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).