its possible to write Microsoft: and Quicktime Tags in mp4 without backupfile ?

Started by Ernie, June 10, 2022, 06:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I have mp4's files. Why must the Quicktime and Microsoft Tags make a new file ? Its possible only write tags without backup file ? The other Tags, Atoms its possible.
Its only:
-Quicktime:CreateDate
-Microsoft:PromotionURL
-Microsoft:AuthorURL
-Microsoft:Publisher
-Microsoft:Producer
-Microsoft:EncodedBy
May be its possible to write Quicktime:CreateDate without new file ??

I am little bit more than beginner of python. Its possible this part make in python without command line btw "subprocess".
Perl is not my world  :P

output in the json file doesnt work -Quicktime:CreateDate
can be fix or add this please ?

StarGeek

From the Docs
     By default the original files are preserved with _original appended to their names -- be sure to verify that the new files are OK before erasing the originals.

You can use the -overwrite_original option to suppress the creation of backup files.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Ernie

yes In know, my files are on the NAS Server and its during many times for add tags. its only the quicktime, microsoft tags. The others tags dont need a backup file.
He makes a backupfile "....mp4_exiftool_tmp". After finish delete this file or delete the orginal and rename the "_exiftool_tmp". I dont know :)

StarGeek

I have no idea what you're trying to say.  If you don't want the _original backup files, then add the option that I posted above.

Exiftool always creates a new file and then renames or removes the original depending upon the above option.  There's no way to change this.  The internal structures of image and video files is complex and you can't just change a few bytes in the file.  Adding or removing data changes the addresses and size of internal pointers, and all of those need to be updated.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Ernie

the python libary mutagen 1.45.1 can this, but there isnt Quicktime and microsoft tags in.
https://pypi.org/project/mutagen/
https://github.com/quodlibet/mutagen/blob/master/mutagen/mp4/_atom.py
so thats why my question :)

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).