broken automator script 10.11

Started by 537635, August 11, 2015, 04:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I believe it is due to changed install location.

More in the macrumors post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/exiftool-el-capitan-10-11.1906401/

Phil Harvey

Thanks.

I don't know what I can do to help here, unless the ExifTool installer messes with the system path somehow, which I would prefer not to do.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

I am not sure, if it is the Exiftool or the Automator. In Terminal you can just type exiftool, while in Automator you have (in El Capitan) type the full path. I posted here, because I read that the install path has been changed in the last update.

So if somebody else will have broken Automator scripts. Just use the full path to the exiftool and that's it.

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks for the note.

I'm sure the problem is that the Automator uses a different default PATH, and unfortunately it appears that /usr/local/bin isn't in this path.  But you are correct that specifying /usr/local/bin/exiftool explicitly will fix the problem on El Capitan, but this isn't backward portable to older installations, so I'm really not pleased with the position that Apple has placed me in here.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

If I'm not mistaken, it is easily fixed by adding /usr/local/bin to paths.d in /etc.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

Thanks.  On OS X 10.10, /etc/paths.d is a directory, and the ExifTool 9.99 installer creates a file called /etc/paths.d/exiftool containing one line: "/usr/local/bin".  So if the new ExifTool version was installed, this should already be done.  But if the file exists, apparently it doesn't affect the automator environment somehow.

- Phil

Edit:  I forgot that the new installer should already be doing this.