Setting created date by file name

Started by DrBarq, April 29, 2020, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Z

Quote from: StarGeek on April 04, 2023, 07:32:01 PMIt just needs the 14 numbers (maybe a few less?) in order from year->seconds, without regards to any intervening characters.

Hi @StarGeek, thanks for the quick reply! -- OK, no problem 👍🏼

In my case, the numbers aren't going to be in that format [as per some of the examples above, the date digits are most likely in the format like: "text-prefix_dd/mm/yyyy hhmmsss.ext"] however I am using a master Excel database* with various calculated columns and macros that will auto-generate and run EXIFtool commands.

As I have that platform (and I always struggle a bit with regex) I will probably just do any date extraction/manipulation in Excel and then send the date info (along with all the other metadata) through to EXIFtool as a formatted date. Thanks for clarifying though for reference / anyone else that will find it easier to use the '14 numbers' method.

* While people talking about / showing their impressive Excel 'databases' is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, as arguably Excel is not really the right tool for that. In this case because of the combination of a few factors, Excel does seem to be the best fit for this job -- don't judge me! 😇🙂