In HEX-editor, metadata is visible, but not in console

Started by Jom, March 27, 2020, 03:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jom

Hi Phil.

I have PSD file.
In the HEX editor, I see two blocks of the xmp.

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='Image::ExifTool 11.91'>

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.3-c011 66.145661, 2012/02/06-14:56:27        ">
this block has the following entries about the title, description, and keywords
<dc:title>
         <rdf:Alt>
            <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">Concept of palmistry</rdf:li>
         </rdf:Alt>
      </dc:title>
      <dc:description>
         <rdf:Alt>
            <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">Palm of left hand with drawn symbols of palmistry. Concept of chiromancy</rdf:li>
         </rdf:Alt>
      </dc:description>
      <dc:subject>
         <rdf:Bag>
            <rdf:li>palmistry</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>concept</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>conceptual</rdf:li>
            <rdf:li>palm</rdf:li>

I can't see the name, description, or keywords in console.

I tried the -scanForXMP command, but still don't see this metadata.
Also I get for this file following warning:
Warning: [minor] Ignored empty rdf:Alt list for dc:title - ./20170202_170330_2.psd

Why can't I see this metadata in the console?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

Okay, thank you. I'll send via email you a link to download the file as soon as I'm free.

Phil Harvey

The second XMP is in the image data section of the PSD file.  ExifTool processes the metadata only, and doesn't process the image data.  This is true for most other file types as well -- usually only the top-level metadata is handled.  Metadata existing in embedded files typically isn't extracted/written.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

Understand, thank you.
If I understand correctly, there is no known you way to see this metadata (except hex-editors)?

Phil Harvey

I don't know about other software.  All I can say is that ExifTool doesn't extract it.

- Phil

Jom