copying exif tags to iptc

Started by jmwjmw, September 13, 2011, 05:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmwjmw

Hi -- I have succesfully written tags from exif to xmp using the exif2xmp.arg. I also have written tags from xmp to iptc using xmp2iptc.arg.
I was wondering if there was anyway to write tags from exif to iptc directly. If not, is their a way to run both of the above args in the same command in the command line?
thanks for any help you can offer.

Phil Harvey

Interesting that this has never come up.  Maybe it is because there isn't much overlap between EXIF and IPTC, but there are enough tags to make this worthwhile.  I will add the following file to the next exiftool release:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# File:         exif2iptc.args
#
# Description:  Tag name translations for converting EXIF to IPTC
#
# Usage:        exiftool -tagsFromFile SRCFILE -@ exif2iptc.args DSTFILE
#
# Revisions:    2011/09/13 - P. Harvey Created
#
# Notes:        IPTC requires a timezone but EXIF does not support one, so
#               when the time is copied the local timezone is assumed.
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-IPTC:By-line < EXIF:Artist
-IPTC:CopyrightNotice < EXIF:Copyright
-IPTC:Caption-Abstract < EXIF:ImageDescription
-IPTC:DateCreated < EXIF:DateTimeOriginal
-IPTC:TimeCreated < EXIF:DateTimeOriginal
-IPTC:DigitalCreationDate < EXIF:CreateDate
-IPTC:DigitalCreationTime < EXIF:CreateDate
# end

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jmwjmw

Thanks very much.

In the meantime, this seemed to work: exiftool -ext jpg "-EXIF:Artist>IPTC:By-line" "-EXIF:ImageDescription>IPTC:caption-abstract" mypic

quitetall

Hello

Did this feature get built?

Specifically, I'd like to copy the EXIF field "Camera Model" to IPTC.

If it has been built, any pointers?

Thanks!

BogdanH

Hi,

Yes, above file (exif2iptc.args) can be found in full ExifTool distribution, which can be downloaded from ExifTool homepage (choose "Download version n.nn" there).

IPTC doesn't contain tag ment for "Camera model". But I am curious... what's the reason you would like to have "Camera model" in IPTC? I mean, that value is expected to be in Exif.

Bogdan

quitetall

Well, thats a good question!

On my Mac I have a folder full of images from various mobile phones, with various naming schemes. I can fix the naming scheme, and what I like to do is sort by camera. It seemed to me that if I can get Camera data into Mac OSX comments, I can show the comments in the finder and thus sort by camera, and then put the photos into folders.

I suppose the alternate if I knew enough is to prefix the filename with the camera model?

Phil Harvey

Writing the camera model into the file name is easy, but there are often complications because if the model name contains characters that you don't want in the file name.

See this thread for a discussion of this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).