Geosetter: Using with WebP?!?!

Started by discgolfdc, May 06, 2024, 05:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

discgolfdc

Hi, all.

I know that Geosetter hasn't been updated in a long time (I did download the >V4 beta available at the site), but I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to use it to batch add GPS coordinates to WebP images. I have a folder full of WebP images, and I'd like to be able to add GPS coordinates. Geosetter appears to allow you to add the same Lat/Long coordinates to a batch of JPGs or other file type inherent to Geosetter's coding.

I added WebP as a custom file type and I do get the little message that says that the "native" filetypes will have information updated in the original file, but that custom filetypes will result in sidecar XMP files. I'm not sure if that message was built into Geosetter prior to exiftool's ability to write to WebP.

In any event, I attempted to add a "post-Geosetter actions" exiftool command that I picked up elsewhere in the forum, which ostensibly should merge XMP data into an original file's data and I modified to read as follows (the -ext in the original was jpg, but since I'm working with webp...):

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp -ext webp -r "C:\Users\Me\Pictures\Geo"

I don't know if the errors that came about are a result of something coded into Geosetter or if, even with Geosetter updated with exiftool 12.84, there's just no way to get it to handle batch write to WebP.

Here is the output after attempting this:

ExifTool reported errors/warnings on 2 of 2 images.

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter_beta\tools\exiftool.exe -m -overwrite_original -TagsFromFile "C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Photos Exif Editor\test.webp" -XMP:all<"EXIF:all" -XMP:Orientation<"IFD0:Orientation" -XMP:all<"GPS:all" -XMP:GPSLatitude<"Composite:GPSLatitude" -XMP:GPSLongitude<"Composite:GPSLongitude" -XMP:GPSDateTime<"Composite:GPSDateTime" -XMP-dc:Creator<"IPTC:By-line" -XMP-dc:Description<"IPTC:Caption-Abstract" -XMP-dc:Rights<"IPTC:CopyrightNotice" -XMP-dc:Subject<"IPTC:Keywords" -XMP-dc:Title<"IPTC:ObjectName" -XMP-photoshop:AuthorsPosition<"IPTC:By-lineTitle" -XMP-photoshop:CaptionWriter<"IPTC:Writer-Editor" -XMP-photoshop:Category<"IPTC:Category" -XMP-photoshop:City<"IPTC:City" -XMP-photoshop:Country<"IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationName" -XMP-photoshop:Credit<"IPTC:Credit" -XMP-photoshop:DateCreated<"IPTC:DateCreated" -XMP-photoshop:DateCreated<"Composite:DateTimeCreated" -XMP-photoshop:Headline<"IPTC:Headline" -XMP-photoshop:Instructions<"IPTC:SpecialInstructions" -XMP-photoshop:Source<"IPTC:Source" -XMP-photoshop:State<"IPTC:Province-State" -XMP-photoshop:SupplementalCategories<"IPTC:SupplementalCategories" -XMP-photoshop:TransmissionReference<"IPTC:OriginalTransmissionReference" -XMP-photoshop:Urgency<"IPTC:Urgency" -XMP-iptcCore:CountryCode<"IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationCode" -XMP-iptcCore:Location<"IPTC:Sub-location" -XMP-iptcCore:IntellectualGenre<"IPTC:ObjectAttributeReference" -XMP-iptcCore:SubjectCode<"IPTC:SubjectReference" -XMP-dc:Description<"EXIF:ImageDescription" -XMP-photoshop:DateCreated<"EXIF:DateTimeOriginal" -XMP-photoshop:DateCreated<"Composite:SubSecDateTimeOriginal" -XMP-xmp:CreateDate<"Composite:SubSecCreateDate" -XMP-xmp:ModifyDate<"Composite:SubSecModifyDate" -XMP-dc:Rights<"EXIF:Copyright" -XMP-dc:Creator<"EXIF:Artist" "C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Photos Exif Editor\test.xmp"

Warning: No writable tags set from C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Photos Exif Editor\test.webp
Error: Nothing to write - C:/Users/Me/Desktop/Photos Exif Editor/test.xmp

Am I looking down a dead-end street, or is there some sorcery I might be able to invoke to achieve this?

Thanks!

StarGeek

What you listed shows
-TagsFromFile "C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Photos Exif Editor\test.webp"
which means it's trying to copy from the web to
"C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Photos Exif Editor\test.xmp

So something is backwards. Not much advice I can give, as I haven't used Geosetter in a long time.

I'd suggest you try GeoTagNinja. It was created by nemethv here on the forums (original post), uses exiftool on the backend and they've been very responsive to problems on that Github page.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

discgolfdc

I just downloaded that and installed.

GTN doesn't seem to have PNG or WEBP inherent to its workings, and doesn't appear to have the ability to add those filetypes as custom entries as does GeoSetter.

Am I missing something, perhaps?

Viktor Nemeth

Hi

The reason why you can't find it because it is/was hard-coded. I've patched the code now, see if this does what you're after please. --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=16laoPJcsJJz6mdkcjWvoQu6wWXiILbQy&usp=drive_fs

ps if you have issues with GTN going forward please open a ticket on github :)