No exif data shown on the right side list

Started by Heidi, October 02, 2010, 08:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heidi

Hi Bogdan, hi everybody,

as the first many thanks for the great Exif tool GUI, Bogdan!
Unfortunately, I have one problem: The list of the exif data on the right side (Tag Name, Content) is always empty.
This is so bei the newest Version, but also by every older version.  ???
I have tried a lot and "googled" a lot, but without success.
Why is that list not shown in my case?
Please help!

Thank you says
Heidi

BogdanH

Hi Heidi,

This can only happen, if you don't have exiftool.exe file inside Windows directory -and in this case, when you start GUI, you will get Error message:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey NOT found!
GUI does NOT work without it -see instructions.

Also check menu: Program>About... and make sure you have exiftool.exe in Windows directory.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Greetings,
Bogdan

Heidi

Hi Bogdan,

thank you for your friendly answer!

I get no Error message!
exiftool.exe is in the same folder like ExifToolGUI.exe. (Look the 2. Screenshot)
I can work on all ExifData if I go about EXIF -> Edit-Button. Everything works fine. Also "Exifttool direct".
Only the list remains blank, empty.  ???

Greetings,
Heidi

BogdanH

Hi Heidi,

I assume (from your screenshot), that you have probably lowered Windows screen resolution or increased Windows font size. Because overall text is bigger now, you needed to make GUI window smaller... and because of that, you don't see all buttons.
You need to make middle area (where files are listed) wider. You can do that by either making whole GUI window wider or by decreasing width of left (preview) area. When middle area is wide enough, then you'll see two additional buttons: List* and View. You need to click on View button, to enable showing metadata.
If (for some reason) you can't resize middle area wide enough, then do the following:
Close GUI and go to directory/folder where you have ExiftoolGUI.exe and open ExiftoolGUI.ini file with Notepad. Now look after line containing
MetadataRowHeight=16
[Options]
ViewButton=0

-and change ViewButton to
ViewButton=1

Now you save ExiftoolGUI.ini file, run ExiftoolGUI and you should see metadata now.

A hint perhaps: Because you're using resized (bigger) fonts in Windows, I assume, text in metadata lines is cutted (not fully visible). If that's the case, then change height of metadata rows to:
MetadataRowHeight=20

Finally, if everything above doesn't help, then close GUI, delete ExiftoolGUI.ini file and run GUI again.

Greetings,
Bogdan

Heidi

Hi Bogdan,

great!! Thank you, it works!! I see the Metadata now  :) I'm happy  :)

Quote from: BogdanH on October 03, 2010, 04:03:26 AM
..... or increased Windows font size.
Yes, you are right.

First I increased the window. But although I have the program window now on full monitor size and the middle area  v e r y  wide, the buttons "List*" an "View" does not appear. (look screenshot3 )
Only after changing the ExiftoolGUI.ini I can see now the Metadata on the right side.  :)
But still without the buttons "View" an "List*".
Do I need the Button "List*"?

Bogdan, thank you very much for your friendly help!
Greetings,
Heidi  :)

BogdanH

Hi Heidi,

I'm glad you made it :)

But I simply can't believe (and looking at screenshot you just posted), that you don't have those two buttons (List* and View) there. I mean, I have no idea, why and how could they dissapear. :o
As you know by now, View button is there only to enable/disable Exiftool decoding metadata. I'm affraid List* button isn't that much usefull (as I was hoping when creating this option) -in short, you're not missing much  ;)

Anyway, I'm slowly working on next major (v4.00) GUI version. There, those two buttons won't exist at all.

Greetings,
Bogdan

Heidi

Hi Bogdan,

Quote from: BogdanH on October 03, 2010, 10:07:44 AM
........ List* ........ -in short, you're not missing much  ;)

Fine!  :)

I am looking forward to the next version of your helpful ExifToolGUI!
Thank you and have always a good time  :)
Greetings
Heidi